TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TraitorBaby Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jo

Is anyone else religious? - March 20th 2018, 12:47 AM

I do t k ow why but I feel like I should say something...
Am I the only one? I am Catholic, and I follow most of what that entails, but that doesn't mean my beliefs are completely solid. I don't go to confession, yes obviously evolution is a thing, I don't hate or discriminate to anyone, whether lgbt or just a different religion....amd I only say this because I've been accused of these things simply because I am Catholic.
Anyway I dont.... I honestly don't even know what I'm trying to say here.
I guess, because I've grown up this way, and because I hate the alternative, I couldn't imagine life without religion, or this benevolent god that loves inconceivabley. But lately I've been forced to numb myself and my emotions to be able to cope with life, and that includes this. If I stop to really think, or i get triggered... or even if I play my music, which is something I used to love to do... everything falls apart. The only way for me to survive right now is to do this, but I hate not feeling anything, and I hate feeling like I'm alone basically.... like I can't feel him there anymore.

I don't know, this feels stupid, and I don't even know that anyone will take this seriously but I can't be the only one, right? It feels like I'm just going through the motions but I don't want to. I want to feel something again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is anyone else religious? - March 20th 2018, 05:12 AM

Hey there,

I am not religious but I used to be. I think there are some people who are catholic and christian etc. I hope one of them will reply.

Are you saying that having belief is a struggle right now? If so I think that happens when you are struggling and different people deal with it in different ways. If you are struggling a lot do you think you can talk to your pastor/priest about your struggles? I am not sure but if you participate in youth groups maybe you could talk to a youth leader? I know there are some people who have found some support in that way.

I think that talking to a counselor might help as well but I am not sure if that is an option.

If keeping your faith helps you than of course find a way to keep believing. My family is pretty religious but to varying degrees. I know religion has helped someone in my family cope with the unexpected death of their partner and I am grateful they have that. So, if religion helps you most of the time it's is likely that with time you will be able to figure out all the darkness.

I think finding a safe person to talk to about your concerns pertaining to religion and the sadness/numbness/darkness might be a good idea.

Sorry if this didn't help but I am here if yu'd like to talk.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Is anyone else religious? - March 24th 2018, 02:36 AM

While I consider myself more spiritual than religious, I did grow up in a relatively Christian household so I definitely know what it's like to question the religion that you grew up in.

I agree with the above poster in that finding someone to talk to might be a good idea. Do any of your friends or family members share your faith, and if so could you talk to them about it? A pastor, priest, or other religious leader could also be a good option, and even just attending services or groups could help you feel more connected to your faith.

Another thing that might help is listening to faith-affirming music. There's a lot of Christian music out there, and a lot of not-specifically-Christian music that can be interpreted in a way that's congruent with the faith. I'm happy to recommend a few songs and artists if that's something you think you'd be interested in, or you can do some exploring of your own to find music that resonates with you.

One thing to remember is that feeling lonely doesn't mean you're alone. I've known a lot of Christians who had phases of feeling like their God had somehow abandoned them only to realise that it was actually something on their end - that they were missing signs, or subconsciously pushing God away, or otherwise just finding it difficult to connect with Him. But that doesn't mean that He's not there. I'd recommend doing activities that have helped you feel more connected in the past; maybe you could pray, or go to church, or read religious writings, or do whatever else you need in order to find that connection again.

I hope some of this was helpful at least, and I hope you know that none of what you're feeling or saying is "stupid" at all. It's common to have an up-and-down relationship with your faith and your God, and you shouldn't feel bad for feeling disconnected or unsure at times. In the end it's up to you to find the right path for yourself, and I wish you all the best on your journey.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Is anyone else religious? - April 3rd 2018, 09:08 PM

I'm not religious, but I used to be. Falling away from religion can be one of the hardest challenges you can face. Especially if you were indoctrinated into it like I was (and sounds like you may have been). My suggestion to you is to perhaps meet with a therapist to discuss this, they can help you work through it. In my case, I became very depressed -- so I cannot recommend a therapist enough. I'm not saying you should leave religion, but perhaps talking to them will help you work through it yourself.

Secondly, I'd also read books on the topic. Read some atheistic views. Read about how people live without a god. Read about how people cope and find meaning. Read philosophical (since science doesn't seem to be an issue) reasons for why god doesn't exist. Then do the same with religion. Figure out what you find more rational, and more meaningful to you. Jumping to either atheism, agnosticism, or any form of theism isn't just a leap. It's a process.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread