TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 20th 2010, 06:49 PM

Has anyone had prophecy about them come true?
Has anyone talked in tongues? Or knows someone who has?

Of course I mean this in biblical context. In other words, someone to prophecy someone to interpret. Someone to speak and someone to interpret. I know many people claim to have prophecy or talk in tongues, but rarely does anyone do it in biblical context. The context I believe can be found in 2 Corinthians something if I'm not mistaken. If it's not in biblical context I'd prefer not to hear about it I'm just curious since it's supposedly a sign for believers (though even when I believed I was wary of prophecy and tongues).
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child&Youth Care Student
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 20th 2010, 09:19 PM

My 2 best friends both pray in tongues when they are really deep into prayer.

Jen

Proud Mama of 2 Adopted Dogs
Koda- Shepherd/Malamute
Penny- Lab/Redbone Coon Hound

Send a message via MSN to Arcenciel  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 20th 2010, 11:06 PM

I've never done so and don't know anyone who has but why does it matter how you pray? If you believe, you believe simple as that and if you pray, whether it be in English, German, Russian or in tongues, you pray. I don't see why it matters.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 21st 2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChanged View Post
My 2 best friends both pray in tongues when they are really deep into prayer.
Was there anyone to interpret their prayers with them?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child&Youth Care Student
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 21st 2010, 07:47 AM

Nope. They just speak in Tongues especially when I'm having a lot of troubles and we're trying to get me under control. I don't need to know what they're saying because the Holy Spirit just fills us up and yeah. it's great. I've never actually seen them do it when we're in a big group praying but yeah. Like for example I was having a panic attack last tuesday before church and I was crying and yelling. Eliza Grabbed my arms and just started telling the bad things to go away and started praying and Megan stood on the other side of me and started praying in tongues. I just kind of fell down and cried. it was good.

Jen

Koda- Shepherd/Malamute

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 21st 2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Nope. They just speak in Tongues especially when I'm having a lot of troubles and we're trying to get me under control. I don't need to know what they're saying because the Holy Spirit just fills us up and yeah. it's great. I've never actually seen them do it when we're in a big group praying but yeah. Like for example I was having a panic attack last tuesday before church and I was crying and yelling. Eliza Grabbed my arms and just started telling the bad things to go away and started praying and Megan stood on the other side of me and started praying in tongues. I just kind of fell down and cried. it was good.
Nothing against you or your friends but Paul says that praying in tongues should only be performed with an interpreter because it's not a sign for believers but for unbelievers and often times people are actually cursing God when they're "speaking in tongues." If there's no interpreter, it's not biblical.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child&Youth Care Student
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 21st 2010, 06:43 PM

How does one interpret a language that doesn't actually "exist". I mean, it exists but I don't think I've ever heard of "tongues 101" or something like that. Plus it's different for everyone.

Jen

Koda- Shepherd/Malamute

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 21st 2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
How does one interpret a language that doesn't actually "exist". I mean, it exists but I don't think I've ever heard of "tongues 101" or something like that. Plus it's different for everyone.
Well if your speaking of God you learn in the Spirit. Tongues is also not solely angelic speech it's speaking in other human languages (hence why people spoke in another language in Acts).

1 Corinthians 14:27

"If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret."

In honesty, how should I know how you can interpret? But the Bible says you must interpret. Tell me how a dead man raises to life when Jesus says, "Come forth." Just because you cannot answer how can it be, doesn't nullify the command. However, Paul answers this question in a sense earlier in 1 Corinthians 14, he says that they should pray earnestly to interpret.

It may be different for everyone but Paul still asks that someone interpret.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 21st 2010, 08:48 PM

It's in Acts 2. I've heard only a few people speak in tongues. But I know the majority of people who it are faking it bad and just want an emotional experience. I don't believe it should be done in public unless there is an interpreter present.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 21st 2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
It's in Acts 2. I've heard only a few people speak in tongues. But I know the majority of people who it are faking it bad and just want an emotional experience. I don't believe it should be done in public unless there is an interpreter present.
Yeah, in Acts 2 it's even in a human language. In the letter to the Corinthians Paul wrote a HUGE rebuke about practicing tongues in public without interpreters.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - April 29th 2010, 07:11 PM

When my grandpa was on his deathbed he started blessing our family in what appeared to be Hebrew. He's never spoken a word of Hebrew in his life...

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#12 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 2nd 2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithoutYou View Post
Has anyone had prophecy about them come true?
Has anyone talked in tongues? Or knows someone who has?

Of course I mean this in biblical context.
Is it necessary to point out how much "selective hearing" is going on here?

I speak in tongues, when I've had quite a lot to drink and can't be bothered making sense to people anymore.

Frankly, I don't think that speaking in tongues should be taken seriously as evidence for a deity.

Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Name: Kayla

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 4th 2010, 08:24 PM

I've heard people speak in tounges before, and I really wish I could, but I don't.
I believe I'm taking a class on it in the summer though at my Bible Camp (: !!!

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
  Send a message via AIM to savealife723 Send a message via MSN to savealife723 Send a message via Yahoo to savealife723  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 5th 2010, 03:25 AM

I think that speaking in tongues does occur, but not in the context that Pentecostal/Charismatic churches take it. Speaking in tongues, if you look at the Greek word for "tongues," in all likelihood it refers to an actual human language not known by the speaker. Every other instance in the Bible and outside of it refers to a known human language or tongue, not a mystical prayer language. Even when Paul talks about the "tongues of Angels," it is really in a negative context of rebuking those that practice them about why they do.

Case in point, I have a friend who was on a mission trip to Mexico. One of the people they were on the trip with started talking to some local people, evangelizing, and she was speaking Spanish. The girl had never spoken Spanish in her life and said she didn't realize she was speaking Spanish until afterward when it was brought up. THAT, in my opinion, is the gift of tongues that we see in scripture.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 5th 2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMZ View Post
Is it necessary to point out how much "selective hearing" is going on here?

I speak in tongues, when I've had quite a lot to drink and can't be bothered making sense to people anymore.

Frankly, I don't think that speaking in tongues should be taken seriously as evidence for a deity.

Hahahaha +1 on that.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 5th 2010, 08:26 PM

I don't think that speaking in tongues is a directly positive thing to do.
You have no clue what you are saying. You could be cursing and blaspheming God for all you know.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 5th 2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
I think that speaking in tongues does occur, but not in the context that Pentecostal/Charismatic churches take it. Speaking in tongues, if you look at the Greek word for "tongues," in all likelihood it refers to an actual human language not known by the speaker. Every other instance in the Bible and outside of it refers to a known human language or tongue, not a mystical prayer language. Even when Paul talks about the "tongues of Angels," it is really in a negative context of rebuking those that practice them about why they do.

Case in point, I have a friend who was on a mission trip to Mexico. One of the people they were on the trip with started talking to some local people, evangelizing, and she was speaking Spanish. The girl had never spoken Spanish in her life and said she didn't realize she was speaking Spanish until afterward when it was brought up. THAT, in my opinion, is the gift of tongues that we see in scripture.
That's generally what it is in biblical context, except they knew they were speaking in tongues while it was happening. However, I don't know that it's necessarily a "gift" as Paul says it's a sign for an unbeliever and not a believer.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 6th 2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty. View Post
I don't think that speaking in tongues is a directly positive thing to do.
You have no clue what you are saying. You could be cursing and blaspheming God for all you know.

Ah funny you should bring that up.

Suppose you don't know german, but you happend to reapeat some short phrase you heard but you have no idea what it means even though in reality it praises satan or something of the like. Would a loving god hold it against you, even though you didn't mean it?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 6th 2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxers rock View Post
Ah funny you should bring that up.

Suppose you don't know german, but you happend to reapeat some short phrase you heard but you have no idea what it means even though in reality it praises satan or something of the like. Would a loving god hold it against you, even though you didn't mean it?
Well, God says a wise man looks over all things. So basically, you shouldn't repeat some short phrase of a foreign language that you don't know the meaning of. Personally, I would want to know exactly what I was saying.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 7th 2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty. View Post
Well, God says a wise man looks over all things. So basically, you shouldn't repeat some short phrase of a foreign language that you don't know the meaning of. Personally, I would want to know exactly what I was saying.
But the question remains, would it be held against you if there was no intention behind your words, especially since you don't know what they meant?

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 7th 2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxers rock View Post
But the question remains, would it be held against you if there was no intention behind your words, especially since you don't know what they meant?
I believe that God would see that as bad judgement. Why repeat something if you don't know what it means?
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 7th 2010, 05:26 PM

Actually God would hold it against you. In the Old Testament people offered sacrifices for unintentional sins so that they would be covered. However, if you're saved it doesn't really matter either way as long as you're asking for forgiveness of your sins. But also, there must be someone there to translate. If someone can translate what you're saying then there is less of a chance of you swearing against God.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 7th 2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithoutYou View Post
Actually God would hold it against you. In the Old Testament people offered sacrifices for unintentional sins so that they would be covered. However, if you're saved it doesn't really matter either way as long as you're asking for forgiveness of your sins. But also, there must be someone there to translate. If someone can translate what you're saying then there is less of a chance of you swearing against God.
"Un dieu n'existe pas"
Btw you just read that in your head and if you thought it, you said it so off to repent you go. So in theory you could potentially burn in hell for eternity just for looking at that phrase, possibly not knowing what it means. If by some chance "jhnbdsasfbn" in some unkown language means praise the antichrist and reading that is the one thing you forgot to repent for because it's litterally harmless but you go to hell anyway; how fucked up is that?

What I'm getting at is shouldn't there be intent behind your thoughts or actions in order for them to be considered sins? In adultery there's intent, in imagining adultery there is intent, in swearing there's intent, in wondering what "бог пиздец" means, there is no intent!

(#24 (permalink)) Old
snappydog Offline
Whimsical Nocturne
Average Joe

Name: Chris

Re: Prophecy & Talking in Tongues? - May 7th 2010, 07:53 PM

I think speaking in tongues, like most religious experiences, could be dismissed by sceptics as being entirely psychological and simply the subconscious somehow using a language it might only have heard in passing - thus it probably won't make much sense - because it's being placed under stress, ie being forced to try and believe.
That's kind of my spin on why, psychologically speaking, it might happen.
Personally I'm an agnostic, but the thing is I think there's no religious experience that can't be explained.... Prophecy, for example. You only hear about the times they got it right, don't you? Never hear all the ones who got it wrong.

It's no surprise that you'll soon forget about me

Closed Thread