TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Of Mike and Men Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Michael

Bright balls hovering in the sky, what are they? - August 24th 2011, 05:00 AM

A couple of nights ago, me and my fiancee were driving through the country and we saw something that looked like this:

http://www.gufob.com/assets/lights-lincolnshire-uk.jpg

Now, I doubt the reliability of that site, but what we saw looked identical to that picture. The balls were at least a mile away and several hundred feet off the ground. They looked like fireflies, but they didn't blink, they weren't moving ("hovering"), and due to the distance, I doubt they were fireflies because of their size. This happened around 9 PM, so it was relatively dark, and was in an open field. My initial thought was they were balloons, but there wasn't enough light to give them that kind of glow. Plus, as I said, they didn't move.

Any ideas?

It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people yourself is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral, self-righteous, bullying laziness.
-Penn Jillette

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Katie

Re: Bright balls hovering in the sky, what are they? - August 24th 2011, 05:01 PM

My best guess would be a meteor shower that was far enough away that it didn't look like they were moving or some form of "space junk" illuminated by the sun somehow.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: kimberly beth

Re: Bright balls hovering in the sky, what are they? - August 27th 2011, 10:33 PM

they look like Chinese lanterns ..

Iam A Child Of The King Of Kings <3
I Am Proud To Say It !! Im Am No Longer Lost !

I Have Been Found .
  Send a message via MSN to Dont3verLooseHope  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Bright balls hovering in the sky, what are they? - August 28th 2011, 08:10 PM

Chinese lanterns?? They can be creepy to see if you don't know what they are.

Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive anyway.

Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud ~ Kanye West

Mistakes are minimized by experience and experience is maximised by mistakes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Bright balls hovering in the sky, what are they? - August 28th 2011, 08:19 PM

That looks like Chinese lanterns to me too - they will have been moving but only at the prevalent wind speed at the time so it would have looked as if they weren't. Anything coming through the atmosphere would be a lot brighter than that thanks to the extreme heat generated.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Of Mike and Men Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Michael

Re: Bright balls hovering in the sky, what are they? - August 28th 2011, 08:51 PM

I believe they are Chinese Lanterns. I drove by a place that had a sign up selling "Sky Lanterns." It's the only rational explanation I can think of. I just found it odd that they weren't moving. Though, now that I think about it, I don't recall what the wind speed was like on this particular night. If I remember correctly, though, it was windy. In fact, I believe a storm was passing through, but I could be wrong.

It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people yourself is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral, self-righteous, bullying laziness.
-Penn Jillette

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: Bright balls hovering in the sky, what are they? - August 28th 2011, 08:58 PM

They are just sky lanterns. Often mistaken for UFO's I have also mistaken these for UFO's before.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread