TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FuturesEnd45 Offline
Not a n00b

Question Meeting with a priest? - March 9th 2012, 06:37 AM

Unsure where to put this so if its wrong sorry!
My mom arranged for me to speak to my priest about my anxiety saturday, i have a therapist but my mom knows i really love my faith and wanted me to speak to my father about it. Im unsure of how these kind of meetings go do we just chat? what do i tell him or what shoulnt i? Have you ever spoken to your preist, rabbi etc about your problems?
  Send a message via AIM to FuturesEnd45  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Meeting with a priest? - March 9th 2012, 08:18 AM

I'm not sure a priest in actually qualified to deal with your issues at all.
It might help to explain your problems to someone else, but I'm pretty sure there'll be not real benefit other than that which you cannot gain by visiting a therapist.

One million miles away...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Meeting with a priest? - March 9th 2012, 09:45 AM

Sometimes having a religious perspective is a great idea when it comes to the stuff that bothers you. Especially when your faith life is that important to you, you may feel he's not professionally qualified, but he can still be able to help you feel more at ease, even if it's by telling you that he'll keep you in his prayers.
As far as meeting with your priest, I'll tell you a little bit about what it was like to meet with mine. I set up an appointment with him and we met in his office at the church. After catching up on life's happenings (talking casually), I sort of just... broke down and everything spilled out. He listened intently to my whining, and at the end, he guided my thought process for where I thought Gid was present through all of it. He pushed me to think about my own faith rather than 'shoving God down my throat' so to speak. Then we sat and he prayed over me and asked God to work through me.
Regardless of him not being 'qualified', it was certainly a great comfort to me to speak to my priest, because he knows me so well, and sometimes it's as if I have a gateway straight to God through him. He makes the difficult stuff easier to understand and deal with.

I think you really should go for it, especially if you and your priest are close and your faith is important to you. Just relax and speak from your heart and you'll be fine!

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Meeting with a priest? - March 9th 2012, 04:52 PM

I have met with a Pastor about anxiety and depression. I've found it rarely helpful, and turned to a psychiatrist and psychologist, this too I found unhelpful.

I have found a lot of anxiety and depression is rooted in pride and unrepentant sin. This may or not be the case for you, but I wouldn't rule it out.

On the other hand, just open up and speak your mind. That's what I did. It's no big deal.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Meeting with a priest? - March 9th 2012, 05:42 PM

While priests are not necessarily professionally qualified (although in the case of university chaplains they do often have extra training in counselling and in one case degrees in psychology), part of their training includes pastoral care and so they can be - and in my experience have been - a good point of contact to have. The vast majority of them will also, as Emily says, not try to force God down your throat but instead talk with you about what you bring to the table and make suggestions as best they can. It's not a substitute for professional help if that is required, but they can be of comfort with these things and if nothing else they're another ear listening to you. The fact that they're priests does not disqualify them from being empathetic human beings.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FuturesEnd45 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Meeting with a priest? - March 9th 2012, 06:08 PM

Thanks guys. I have a therapist i talk to regularly but my mom just set up a meeting with my preist just because. Thanks for all your insight
  Send a message via AIM to FuturesEnd45  
Closed Thread