TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Diva Cup? - February 25th 2017, 01:29 AM

Has anyone here used the Diva Cup before for your menstrual cycle? I've been looking into it and wanted to hear what some personal experiences are.

Are they messy?
Do you feel the liquid sloshing around?
How often do you empty it?
Any other info?

Thanks!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Diva Cup? - February 25th 2017, 02:56 AM

I am probably not the best person to give tips because when I tried to insert it, i couldn't get it in all the way. I cant put in tampons either so I stick to pads, both disposable and reusable.

I can answer the first question about messyness. This might be for the first time you use it only but I read that you can wear a pad as well just for extra protection. That way you have a chance to get the hang of things without getting too messy and leaking.

Inserting it was messy for me personally. But I also tried when I didnt have my period and I think it might help to practice before your period comes if you're not used to it.

From the brand I used, it was a free sample from lunette cup or something like that and they said to change every 12 hours. But it might be different for Dive cup. I actually just checked the Diva Cup website and it says:

Quote:
Remember to empty and wash your DivaCup at least twice a day, a minimum of every 12 hours
12 hours seems like a lot though so I would probably personally empty it more often.
For other info, while I was confirming how often to empty it, I found this:
Quote:
Never use a lubricant to insert The DivaCup. The ingredients in lubricants can damage the silicone, so we suggest using only water as a lubricant!
Not saying you'd do that, but good to keep in mind I suppose :P

Sorry I cannot be further help but I hope this helped a little. And I wish you the best with using the Cup

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Diva Cup? - February 25th 2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-the-way View Post
Inserting it was messy for me personally. But I also tried when I didnt have my period and I think it might help to practice before your period comes if you're not used to it.
It's actually not a good idea to do this. You should only insert products such as tampons and the cup when you have your flow because it provides lubrication. Otherwise, it can be painful and could possibly cause small tears in the walls of your vagina.
I plan on switching to the cup, I'm just using up the tampons I have left first. The cup can be left in for 12 hours before it starts to leak because it isn't just absorbing liquid like tampons do. It shouldn't be messy either, I've heard from people who use it that it's pretty easy to take out without any issues. It has a small string that hangs down similar to tampons that you just gently pull. I also don't think you'd feel the liquid sloshing around because you don't have as many nerves above your cervix, similar to how you can't feel tampons once they are in.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Diva Cup? - February 26th 2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
It's actually not a good idea to do this. You should only insert products such as tampons and the cup when you have your flow because it provides lubrication. Otherwise, it can be painful and could possibly cause small tears in the walls of your vagina.

Thank you for correcting me, Nicole. I thought this was only the case for tampons because of the material it is made out of and should have double checked.

Also Brittany, I am sorry! I wouldnt want to cause harm to you or your body so I am glad the info was corrected in time.

And oh look, it says it right there on the website:

Quote:
Use only during Menstruation!
Many of our Divas are so excited to try the cup that they decide to try it while not on their cycle. This is a bad idea for many reasons. The cup is regulated for use only during menstruation, meaning a key element of success is menstrual flow. If you find yourself saying, “What’s the harm in practicing beforehand?”, stop! If the cup is inserted when not menstruating, the vaginal canal is often less lubricated and the cup will not glide in as easy (and will be quite uncomfortable). The cup will also not open as easily which can lead to difficulty with removal and an overall unpleasant experience.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Diva Cup? - February 27th 2017, 02:56 AM

Today was my first menstruation day. I tried it when I got home from work. I was only able to keep it in for about 30ish minutes as it gave me a little bit of discomfort. I'm assuming that it might be because it was only my first day, or I put it in wrong. I do plan to give it another try tomorrow. Thanks!

stronger than you seem,

Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: Diva Cup? - February 27th 2017, 04:54 PM

I've never used one before, but am interested in them! Are you able to sleep with a Diva cup in, or still stick to pads for night? How do you like it so far Brittany?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Diva Cup? - February 28th 2017, 05:55 PM

I tried it for about an hour last night. I'm going to put how it went in the spoiler as it's a little descriptive.

Spoiler:
So, I had it in for about an hour yesterday, I was going to go out so I wanted to take it out as I want to try it around the house for a bit. When I first put it in, it felt a bit uncomfortable when I would walk. I thought it might be because I didn't put it in properly, so I took it out and reinserted it. It still felt a bit weird, but decided to leave it.

When I went to go take it out, I couldn't reach the little nub thing that you hold to pull it out. So I pushed a bit, like I was pushing a baby out, and it slid out enough for me to grab it.

It was very messy coming out. It did collect some of the blood. However, my fingers were all dirty so it was hard to finish using the toilet so I could clean it and wash my hands.

I feel like it would be difficult to use in a public setting as you need to wash it before you put it back in.

I hope this makes sense xd

stronger than you seem,

Forum & Chat Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
NATUREGIRL Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ANGELA - ANGIE

Re: Diva Cup? - February 28th 2017, 06:02 PM

Hiya Brittany I have only heard about them but don't know anyone who used one. I would love to hear how you get on since the first day. I would listen more to your opinion than from a web site promoting the cup.
Thanks for your help so far.
Take Care
XX

HELLO EVERYONE I AM ANGELA - ANGIE TO MY FRIENDS I AM 16 AND I AM A GAY/LEZ GIRL LOOKING TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS.
***** SMOOTH IS BEST *****

Closed Thread