TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Birth Control - March 26th 2017, 06:31 AM

Hey guys!

So I used to be on the birth control pill, but I have a HORRIBLE memory so I had to change it. I am now on the patch and have been for about 6 years. However, I've started having issues remembering to change it each week.

I have really bad cramps (sometimes they're bad enough that I have to go to the hospital) and I sometimes have bad acne.

Has anyone had any experience with other birth control products? Ones that you don't need to change often? I was looking into depo, but I'm terrified of needles..

Any suggestions would be great!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Birth Control - March 26th 2017, 07:08 AM

There's one where they implant a matchstick size thing into your underarm and it lasts for years. Works on the same principle as BC pills. I had a friend who had it and it was pretty neat. I forget what the name of it was though.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Birth Control - March 26th 2017, 07:57 AM

I actually have the implant, Implanon and Nexplanon are the two brands commonly used.

I've had it for almost a year now. I was really nervous about getting it, because I have a passionate hatred for needles. Like I pass out at needles. But it actually wasn't that bad, they will give you a shot of lidocaine (or something in that family) to numb the area, and then insert the implant, which I didn't feel at all. They also did it while I was laying down, so I didn't see it, and they were talking to me so it was really no big deal.

The first like 2 days you have to be careful of that arm and not bump it too much. But after that, its no big deal. Might be a little sore.

Its good for I believe 3 years, they changed it RIGHT after I got it.

But over all, I highly recommend it.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Birth Control - March 26th 2017, 08:29 PM

I love the implant.

I was on the shot before the implant and I gained tons of weight on it. Went on the depo and I've managed my weight at least.

Like Sarah said you're laying down when they do it. They rub the area with iodine first and then stick in the lidocaine to numb it. That was honestly the worst part but it was manageable. I didn't look when they did it and talked to someone while they were doing it so that helped a lot.

Then they make an incision and stick it in and you're done fast! I got sick though when they did it, but I've also gotten sick with tattoos and blood donation so I think it's just something my body does. I had to drink some juice to raise my sugar and it's good.

Like Sarah said, you just have to be careful to not bump the area for a while. They bandaged me up the first day with an actual bandage that I was supposed to keep on for 24 hours but it wasn't tight enough and fell off so I just kept the lower band-aid on. I forget how long you're supposed to leave that on for. I had a little bruising and soreness, but nothing excruciating.

I have a scar, but it's tiny and barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. You can actually feel the implant under your skin which is cool. Sometimes I feel it just to know it's still there and I'll show my friends.

But then you don't have to do anything with it. When I got mine they said it was good for 3 years but my friend just got one and hers is goo for 4, so I'd say at MINIMUM it's good for 3.

I don't have a period at all on mine, except sometimes I get spotting. My friend does get a period but it's a lot lighter. And I don't have to bother with taking a pill every day or anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Birth Control - March 28th 2017, 01:19 PM

I've been on the implant as well. Loved it. But if you're looking for new methods, this site is really great at allowing you to explore where you can search by your needs and see everything out there.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Birth Control - March 28th 2017, 03:32 PM

I used to be on Nuvaring which I also thought was a good option. You only have to change it every three weeks and if you want, you could leave it in an extra week to skip a period if you've got something planned that week. It's also super quick to change.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Birth Control - March 28th 2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumoirous View Post
I used to be on Nuvaring which I also thought was a good option. You only have to change it every three weeks and if you want, you could leave it in an extra week to skip a period if you've got something planned that week. It's also super quick to change.
I am currently on the nuvaring and really really love it. It's simple to put in and you only have to remember to take it out and put it again....every three weeks. When I first got on it I thought I'd have trouble with that because I suck at taking medication. But, I just set a reminder on my phone the first couple of months and now I remember to take it out and put it in like clockwork.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lennarthedlund Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Birth Control - March 29th 2017, 04:16 AM

Birth control is the act of preventing pregnancy. Methods include medications, procedures, devices, and behaviors.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Birth Control - March 31st 2017, 04:08 AM

Can't you put a weekly or daily alarm on your phone? That's what my girlfriend does for hers. She has it set for 7 PM everyday. It's a hassle hearing that alarm everyday, but it'd be more of a hassle to have a kid we don't want right now...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
GunEks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Birth Control - March 31st 2017, 06:08 AM

In developing countries, more than half of all women of reproductive age want to avoid pregnancy. 225 million women are not using an effective method of contraception. And millions of women lack the services they need, leading to 74 million unintended pregnancies in developing countries each year.

This is where Pathfinder works. We believe all people have the right to decide whether or when to have children. We know contraception means better health, more girls in school, and greater resources for families, communities, and nations. In over 100 countries and counting, our contraception programs change lives.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
bunnyhabit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shasha

Re: Birth Control - April 7th 2017, 08:37 PM

i still use the pill since i was twelve because was free at school and is easy to get at any convenience store like 7-Eleven. Also is very cheap i take every day so easy to manage. most guys also use condom for me as double safety measure.
  Send a message via Yahoo to bunnyhabit  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
lennarthedlund Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Birth Control - April 12th 2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
Hey guys!

So I used to be on the birth control pill, but I have a HORRIBLE memory so I had to change it. I am now on the patch and have been for about 6 years. However, I've started having issues remembering to change it each week.

I have really bad cramps (sometimes they're bad enough that I have to go to the hospital) and I sometimes have bad acne.

Has anyone had any experience with other birth control products? Ones that you don't need to change often? I was looking into depo, but I'm terrified of needles..

Any suggestions would be great!

haven't tried any, but sure you can google about it

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Tattooed Heart Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Teagan

Re: Birth Control - April 12th 2017, 05:27 PM

The Implanon implant is wonderful as I have been using it since I was 15. Of course if you are underage like I was you have to get consent from a parent to get it, but it works great and it is effective for up to 4 years.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Birth Control - April 12th 2017, 11:37 PM

I'd research into each method. I used to have the implant and had severe side effects on it. My mood was super low and i was just angry all the time. The dual hormones don't agree with me.

What about the Coil?
I'm considering that as its hormone free. Just need to find time to head to the docs to get it fitted.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
Closed Thread