TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jiyra Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jocelyne

Question Asking My Mom About Sex Toys - October 26th 2017, 05:17 PM

Hi, I'm fourteen and have recently been exploring my sexuality with myself at home. One of the topics I have been curious about for a while are sex toys. I want to talk to my mom about the topic and ask her if she wouldn't mind buying one for me.

Experiencing pleasure helps me to relax and find peace with myself. I struggle with anxiety (diagnosed) and this helps me de-stress. How do I go about asking my mom about this? Should I bring that up? I've come across a few toys of hers when I didn't know what they were, so I know she's somewhat open about the use of them. Am I too young to want one? I don't want to make my relationship with her awkward, so should I ask at all?

Thanks! (:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Asking My Mom About Sex Toys - October 26th 2017, 07:09 PM

Asking a parent about buying a sex toy can be awkward but I think, it is also, dependent on the type of relationship a person has with their parents and how open a parent is about this type of stuff.

There are some parent's who would not be open to the idea and it would not be a good idea to talk to them. However, I have met some relatively open people in my life and they have been willing to talk to their kids about sex and they have been willing to help them find a sex toy.

If you feel that your mom would be open about this then I don't see an issue with talking to her about it. I know there are going to be some people who will disagree but, like I said, there are some really open people out there.

I have a friend who was able to talk to their parent about anything regarding sex and, at one point, they did talk to their parent about the use of sex toys. Yeah, it was a tad bit awkward for them to bring up at first but once their parent was cool with it and open, the awkwardness died down.

That being said, if your mom would not be open, there are other options available. Google is a great way to learn about things pertaining to sex and, if you have a visa gift card you could easily purchase a toy on your own. I think that amazon has some toys as well so an amazon gift card MIGHT work but you would want to check to make sure that the item you are looking at is fulfilled by Amazon. If it is not, there is a chance you won't be able to buy an item with the Amazon gift card.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Asking My Mom About Sex Toys - October 28th 2017, 08:05 AM

Depends on your mom. Is she a liberal open minded understanding woman? Or
is she a conservative prude?

I remember when I had to get up the courage to ask my parent for sex related stuff. I really didn't want to, but the sex drive in those early teen years is so strong! The sex drive overpowered my apprehension, and I got up the nerve to ask, and I got what I asked for, which I was too young at the time to buy myself.

I think open liberal minded parents understand their kids get to that age and they're just too, "I don't want to ask my kid if she wants a sex toy. I don't know if she's old enough, or if she's into that yet." but they're thinking about it themselves, and wondering about their kid. At least that's my guess. Plus all parents remember being young teenagers themselves.

Or the parent is a closed minded conservative prude, in which case they are shaking in their boots all worried that their kid is about to ask them any day about sex, and they fear they will have a heart attack if that happens. In which case you can help them get past that endless repressed fear by actually popping the question, so they don't have to worry endlessly about it anymore, because now it's out in the open, and they'll probably discover, oh, it actually wasn't all that bad. No bolts of lightening came down from the sky. no earthquakes, the world didn't end. This sex stuff isn't as hard to talk about as I feared.

(Conservative people unfortunately live in constant endless repressed fear which they never show, but it's there at the very core of their beliefs.)

Best wishes! I hope you get your toy (and some batteries!)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PiercedGirl02 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Crystal

Re: Asking My Mom About Sex Toys - November 6th 2017, 07:23 AM

I'm 15, & I have several sex toys.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Online
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Asking My Mom About Sex Toys - November 6th 2017, 08:54 AM

Hey,

I know it can be awkward to talk to your parents about sex toys especially since you are so young. If your mom openly talks to you about sex, or is very open minded I would go a head and sit down with her, and talk about it. If she isn't open I wouldn't talk to her about it.

If you have a debit or credit card( I know your young but some people do) then you can always go online and buy one yourself and you wouldn't have to tell her at all. They sell them at Spencers and you can order them online and they ship it to you just like a normal package. I have bought a lot of mine from there, they aren't that expensive .

Good luck, and I hope this helped a little bit.
If you ever need to talk I am just a PM/VM away, I am also always on chat.

Your Friend,
Essa

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread