TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

STI? - October 28th 2018, 08:55 PM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey all.

A few months ago, I got a sore on my labia majora. It was painful but I didn't think anything of it; to me it seemed like an ingrown hair. It was hard to see because A) I'm overweight and B) I have pubic hair, but my partner looked at it and didn't think it was anything to be concerned about so I let it go. It went away on it's own.

Several weeks ago another sore appeared in the same spot. At this point I was concerned I had genital herpes. I looked up herpes sores but it doesn't match what those look like. My partner still said it looked find so I stopped worrying. A swelling developed behind the sore (the skin was firm to the touch) and another sore developed lower down. They were both painful, and, when rubbed the wrong way, would pop and bleed on my panties. That's when I started to get concerned again. It's been several weeks and one sore has gone away but they other remains. It doesn't hurt anymore and it looks just like a purple bump.

I'm concerned I have some sort of STI. It would be strange since up until two weeks ago I haven't had sex with anyone other than my partner in six months (and the last person I had sex with before that was a virgin), but I'm going to see my PCP tomorrow and get tested and I'm going to mention it, but I'm really freaking out. Because my partner said it looked innocuous and not to worry about it I've still been having oral and PIV sex, both with her and other people (we're polyamorous, so it's not cheating or anything). So far no one has reported contracting any sores or anything.

I'm scared though. How do I tell these people I have an STI if I test positive? Most of them are men I do not know very well. I am scared of their reaction, and scared I will be viewed as a sexual outcast. I enjoy having casual sex and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

Also, please don't judge me, or rain down criticism. I'm aware there's a risk in casual sex, even though I always use protection. If it is an STI I'm sure that's how I got it, as my primary partner always tests negative. I don't want to be shamed for my choices though. Thank you for understanding.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount28

Edit avatar

Re: STI? - October 28th 2018, 09:23 PM

I know you seem set in worry about having an STI, but I want to ask you some questions first.

Do you wash yourself down there?
If so, with plain water or with soap?
You mention you have hair down there, but do you ever trim or shave?

Sometimes we can get–and pardon me for saying this–get razor burns or cuts (accidentally) that can end up infected.
Also, for some reason and maybe someone else can explain better, you are not supposed to use soap to wash down there.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Re: STI? - October 28th 2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retribution. View Post
I know you seem set in worry about having an STI, but I want to ask you some questions first.

Do you wash yourself down there?
If so, with plain water or with soap?
You mention you have hair down there, but do you ever trim or shave?

Sometimes we can getĖand pardon me for saying thisĖget razor burns or cuts (accidentally) that can end up infected.
Also, for some reason and maybe someone else can explain better, you are not supposed to use soap to wash down there.
Thank you for the reply.

I do wash my genitals, but just the outer parts with hair, not the inside of the vulva. I do use soap and plain and water but I've been using the same soap/washing the same way for years without problem. I do not trim or shave at all.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: STI? - October 29th 2018, 12:12 AM

A lot of different things could be causing this. I think the best route is getting it looked at to know for sure what it could be.

With STI's someone can be asymptomatic and show no signs of infection, where someone can have it in their body for a while before symptoms do show up. For instance, HPV

Let's address HPV. It can be dormant for a long time and then show up months or years after before signs and symptoms begin to show up. One thing to take note is, if the sore does come off, it can be painful and bleed. It will come back. HPV usually is in clusters, small bumps, it can be tiny and feel like your skin. HPV doesn't always cause pain or discomfort.

However, HPV may not be what you are experiencing. It could be something else that is going on. Using condoms during sex can help prevent HPV but someone can still contract HPV. [Human Papillomavirus (HPV) ]

When you are washing, doing a quick over with your hands of your vagina can help clear any discharge and you are also checking for any changes in your vagina, like lumps, bumps, or other (kinda like a self-breast examine) things.

This isn't your fault for not using protection, you can still contract HPV when you use protection. [ Why Safer Sex Isn't Always Safe Enough ] It's really good that you continue to use protection. If you are tested positive for an STI, you can tell those partners that you are positive and need to be checked. If you don't feel comfortable telling them, you could pass the contact information to the health unit where they can call for you on your behalf to inform them they could be at risk for an STI. They should honour your privacy and not disclose your name to them. With your current partners, I would encourage you to talk to them when you know what is going on.

If you need some suggestions or advice on how to let them know, feel free to post back so you have some options. My inbox is always also open if you need anything.

I hope this is a little bit helpful. Hang in there.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator
Forum Mod - Relationships and Dating, Substance Use, Lifestyle, Goals and Ambitions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Re: STI? - November 4th 2018, 01:11 AM

Update: I went to my primary care physician on Monday and got tested for all sexually transmitted infections. I tested negative for everything. I am quite happy about this. However, I still have a bleeding sore on my genitals. Any idea what it could be? I’m starting to get really concerned. My doctor didn’t seem concerned when she signed it, although at the time it was healed over. I don’t know what to do.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: STI? - November 5th 2018, 05:55 AM

Did they test for viral infections as well as bacterial? I only ask because a lot of "full screen" STI tests only do bacterial. Herpes is hard to test for because the test isn't very sensitive so it's hard to detect the antibodies so most of the time they test through symptoms

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Re: STI? - November 6th 2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
Did they test for viral infections as well as bacterial? I only ask because a lot of "full screen" STI tests only do bacterial. Herpes is hard to test for because the test isn't very sensitive so it's hard to detect the antibodies so most of the time they test through symptoms
She did a blood test for HSV I & II. I came back positive for HSV I, but not HSV II. Since HSV I is what typically causes cold sores she told me not to worry about it and that the sore is probably a pimple because of the sebaceous glands in that area. She did not, however, culture the sore.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time

(#8 (permalink)) Old
RORO Offline
Not a n00b

Re: STI? - November 17th 2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceCommander View Post
Update: I went to my primary care physician on Monday and got tested for all sexually transmitted infections. I tested negative for everything. I am quite happy about this. However, I still have a bleeding sore on my genitals. Any idea what it could be? Iím starting to get really concerned. My doctor didnít seem concerned when she signed it, although at the time it was healed over. I donít know what to do.
I am glad that the test came back negative for STI's. Do you have a GYN that you could see about this issue? Maybe they could give you better answers then your Primary Doctor.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: STI? - November 19th 2018, 02:25 AM

This sounds like an issue I've been having for a while, just not in the same place.

Do you wear a lot of tight pants?

I have sores that pop up in the crease between my leg and vaginal area, where the hem of the leg of my underwear sit. When I wear jeans that are too tight, it causes the hem to rub against the skin and cause micro-abrasions because I have really sensitive skin. This then gets infected and swells up painfully. It'll hurt to the touch, especially when there's pressure applied to it, then it'll turn purplish like you're describing and eventually go away. I had it looked at when I was pregnant because I also thought I had an STI.

Could yours be something similar?

As someone before me said, you could always ask your gynecologist to take a look, even if your PCP isn't concerned.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Re: STI? - November 21st 2018, 06:35 PM

My appointment with my OBGYN is today. I promise to update y'all as soon as I can.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Luminescence. Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jenna

Re: STI? - November 21st 2018, 07:08 PM

Good luck, thinking of you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Re: STI? - November 22nd 2018, 02:56 AM

It was two ingrown hairs. I was told to pluck them, not wear panties at night, and use hibiclense to prevent infection.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time

(#13 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!