TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
foofums Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: S. Wall

Super awful period time! - April 8th 2011, 10:55 PM

Helloooo, ladies, and males who think they can help me!

This morning I woke up, and I had started my period. Nothing weird there. It's just that I've been feeling really lightheaded all day. That, coupled with pretty awful cramps, has left me feeling like total garbage.

I did some searching around online, and got tips to eat some iron-rich foods for the dizziness, since most of the results I got lead to anemia (which I'm fairly certain I don't have). So I ate some Cheerios (le box says it has 100% iron), took a soapless bath, and my cramps are better, but the lightheaded feeling remains :C

Something similar happened about six months ago. I was in the shower, and I just got really dizzy and lost my vision for a few seconds. The sis thought that was vertigo, but after looking up the symptoms to that on Web MD, didn't really seem to be the case.

Does anyone have any at-home remedies for the lightheadedness? Or should I just keep up with the iron intake (and fiber - to battle constipation that may come with all the iron)?

It may be unrelated, but since Tuesday I've had a bit of trouble with mild insomnia. Haven't been able to fall asleep until 4 or 5 a.m., even if I'm just laying in bed for a zillion hours. I'm on no medication.

Thanks in advance!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jamie

Re: Super awful period time! - April 9th 2011, 02:52 AM

Not sure what to recommend for the light-headed feeling besides naps and taking it easy in general. That's all that seems to help me on an immediate basis.

I get short-term insomnia for about four days around my period every month, so I'd guess that it's just a normal hormonal thing, unfortunately. If it continues past your period, perhaps it's something else, but I wouldn't be too concerned about that yet.

As a side note, I've been taking Omega-3 supplements daily for about three months, and they have seemed to make my cramps and other period-related ailments much less intense. While it doesn't provide immediate relief, perhaps this is something you could consider trying.

Best of luck!

I've never been afraid of the highest heights or afraid of flying high.
I've never been afraid of the wildest fights, not afraid of dying.

I guarantee you'll miss me, 'cause you changed the way you kiss me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Super awful period time! - April 9th 2011, 03:44 AM

Lightheadedness could be dehydration. I dehydrate super easy and get dizzy heaps. I used to think drinking water was the best thing for it but it's not. When you're on your period / get too hot etc you lose salts and sugars etc that you need. Try drinking fruit juices, pure not cordial, or tea with sugar / honey.
As for not thinking you have anemia, a LOT of girls get anemia only around their period because of the loss of blood, and then it goes once your body gets back to "normal". Try taking iron supplements a day or so before you're due and through your period, that's what my doctor always recommended. As long as you only take the recommended dose on the bottle it shouldn't do you any harm, especially if you only take it a few days. Maybe go to a pharmacy / health store, they can recommend the right supplements for you
Good luck! Hope it fixes up soon

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Super awful period time! - April 9th 2011, 03:46 AM

I have the same thing happen to me. And it's always been because of my low iron levels. Is there a reason why you don't think you have anemia?

That being said, I don't think that Cheerios would be especially helpful. I would try some red meat or dark green vegetables instead. Apart from that, just stay lying down and keep up your fluid intake; you might be feeling lightheaded from dehydration.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
foofums Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: S. Wall

Re: Super awful period time! - April 9th 2011, 12:43 PM

@Magic - I actually almost only drink water except for a can of soda once every/other day, haha. But I should drink some fruit juices, too.

You would think that would be obvious, I guess, but I didn't know that! I'll look into the iron supplements. Thanks.

@ShimmeringFaerie - Mostly because I really only have one actual symptom, aside from my period. Also, I had bloodwork done last November due to a kidney stone. Forgive me is this isn't right, but if I was anemic, I think they would have told me. I'm not really that knowledged about how anemia sets in, though.

Haha, I only ate Cheerios because it was all I had aside from eggs, which I botched before settling on the cereal. I didn't have any red meat or vegetables yesterday, but today's grocery day.

Thanks for all the help, guys

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Super awful period time! - April 10th 2011, 01:09 PM

It could also be low blood sugar/low blood pressure.

If it doesn't get better, see your doctor

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
bellabel19 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bella

Re: Super awful period time! - April 18th 2011, 08:47 PM

Ahh man I know how you feel. I not only get extremely dizzy but also tend to vomit, so there have been times where I've thrown up and then fainted, or gone to throw up and end up fainting and hitting my head on the edge of the toilet I was leaning over... not fun!

I've found that drinking a lot of water, taking deep breaths and just lying down helps. And, sleep. I mean, there's not much you can do except wait until it's over. Drink some light broth like chicken soup and have water, maybe take some pills for pain, lie down and put on a movie you like. Just relax and spend the day resting. Don't move around a lot and just take it easy.

Closed Thread