TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jamie

Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 01:02 AM

My boyfriend and I wanted to have sex recently, but we encountered numerous troublesome problems that neither of us expected to have. To make a long story short, we've found solutions to every one of our issues... except for one.

Every time my boyfriend tries to use more than one finger inside of me, I get an uncomfortable burning sensation, especially when he moves his fingers, that progressively gets worse until I have to ask him to stop. Sometimes it's in pretty deeply, but often the pain is near the outside. It lasts 10-15 minutes after each attempt and then goes away completely. I have never been able to insert anything in there comfortably (except for tampons, which took years to become acclimated to), and up until now I just dismissed it as being tight or not wet enough. We tried using water-based lube, but it didn't seem to help the discomfort too much, prompting me to head to Google.

"Vaginismus" comes up a lot for this kind of discomfort, but neither my boyfriend nor I can feel any sort of muscular contraction in there. Bacterial infections are also apparently a possibility, but I don't have any other symptoms that would lead me to believe one is present. I had a(n extremely painful) gynecological exam two weeks ago, and my doctor didn't note anything unusual then, but she wasn't specifically looking for anything like this, so maybe it was overlooked.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Should I just try to have sex and see if it gets less painful? I don't particularly like putting things up there myself, so I never really thought about this much before now...

I've never been afraid of the highest heights or afraid of flying high.
I've never been afraid of the wildest fights, not afraid of dying.

I guarantee you'll miss me, 'cause you changed the way you kiss me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Cmblack9871 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelsea

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 02:00 AM

I would talk to your gyno again and have her look for specifics or talk to your doctor, it shouldn't be painful to have sex, I have never had this problem but it sounds like you should talk to your doctor/gyno to about the specific problem

We were given two arms, two legs, two eyes, two of each finger and two of each toe, but why only one heart? Because someone else is holding the other waiting to find you

Known him for 2 years, loved him for 1 year and dated him for 9 months and I love my Ash

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 02:31 AM

I agree with the above. This doesn't sound in any way normal, and usually when gynecologists do pap test exams, they usually look for bacterial infections (Mine has done this and has found it on two separate occasions, and it's easily cleared up within a week with antibiotics). Get in touch with your gyno again, and ask them what the pain could be from. Sex shouldn't be painful, but enjoyable, and this doesn't sound right at all.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
Skittles Minion

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 02:45 AM

Pain during intercourse can be normal when it's your first time. However, the burning sensation is what's bothering me. I experienced pain the first few times I had intercourse, I'm naturally very tight and have to relax A LOT before I can have intercourse. However, it wasn't burning, it was all muscular, and just not relaxing enough, and lube made the problem go away.
I would see your gyno again, tell him/her about the problem in particular. It's better to just go through with the pap, and to be able to enjoy your intercourse without worry.

Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind
- even if your voice s h a k e s. -Maggie Kuhn

Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 03:18 AM

Yikes. I guess it is something to worry about.

When I was at the gyno, she told me that they didn't do pap tests before the age of 21. She also seemed a bit surprised by how I reacted to the exam (read as: I was crying in pain), yet she didn't press the issue at all. I've never had sex before, so maybe that gave her the impression I was overreacting or something?

I guess a better description would be to say it feels raw inside. I've never associated any sort of penetration with pleasure; putting anything in there has always felt uncomfortable at best for me... and that makes it hard for me to think it's an infection.

I can't even try to have sex again for another 10+ months, so I figured now would be a good time to pinpoint the problem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller♥coaster View Post
Yikes. I guess it is something to worry about.

When I was at the gyno, she told me that they didn't do pap tests before the age of 21. She also seemed a bit surprised by how I reacted to the exam (read as: I was crying in pain), yet she didn't press the issue at all. I've never had sex before, so maybe that gave her the impression I was overreacting or something?

I guess a better description would be to say it feels raw inside. I've never associated any sort of penetration with pleasure; putting anything in there has always felt uncomfortable at best for me... and that makes it hard for me to think it's an infection.

I can't even try to have sex again for another 10+ months, so I figured now would be a good time to pinpoint the problem.
If your gyno is telling you that they can't do a pap test on you before you're 21, I would switch doctors. If you've recently become sexually active, and I don't just mean with sex, they can do a pap test on you.

I got my first pap test when I was 16, and was going on birth control for the first time. It wasn't recommended that I do, but I chose to have the test done to make sure everything was all fine and dandy down under.

Normally, if you aren't sexually active, it's not required to do a pap test until you reach the age of 21, but since this pain is something to worry about, I would suggest to your current gyno that you'd like to have the test done anyway, or switch doctors who will perform the test.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#7 (permalink)) Old
vivid2012 Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonPants View Post

If your gyno is telling you that they can't do a pap test on you before you're 21, I would switch doctors. If you've recently become sexually active, and I don't just mean with sex, they can do a pap test on you.

I got my first pap test when I was 16, and was going on birth control for the first time. It wasn't recommended that I do, but I chose to have the test done to make sure everything was all fine and dandy down under.

Normally, if you aren't sexually active, it's not required to do a pap test until you reach the age of 21, but since this pain is something to worry about, I would suggest to your current gyno that you'd like to have the test done anyway, or switch doctors who will perform the test.
yup, you might ask the doctor for help.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 06:04 PM

That gyno takes literally months to get an appointment with anyway, so perhaps I'll try looking around for a new one that will be more, erm... helpful.

I went on birth control for the first time (to help with painful cramps, not for the purpose of contraception, though it's a nice "perk") about three months ago, which is why I went in the first place. As if I don't have too many problems already... this really sucks.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but aren't there over-the-counter tests for certain infections? Do you think that would be worth a try?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 10th 2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
That gyno takes literally months to get an appointment with anyway, so perhaps I'll try looking around for a new one that will be more, erm... helpful.

I went on birth control for the first time (to help with painful cramps, not for the purpose of contraception, though it's a nice "perk") about three months ago, which is why I went in the first place. As if I don't have too many problems already... this really sucks.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but aren't there over-the-counter tests for certain infections? Do you think that would be worth a try?
I'm not sure about any other sort of infections, but I know they do have over-the-counter tests for urinary tract infections. I took one when I thought I had one, and it was quite accurate and I ended up really having a UTI. I would do some research and seeing if they have any tests for other infections. But, since you don't know what it could be, it could be a serious waste of money in the long run, and some of them aren't always accurate.

The best thing for you to do would be to make another appointment with a different doctor. They are true medical professionals, and taking an OTC test to see if you have an infection might not determine what the real problem is.

You said that you've been feeling raw inside, that's the way you described it. You might not be producing any of your own fluids to make it wet inside, which is making it extremely painful for you. But, I could be wrong. So, I would make that appointment to get some second opinions about what's going on and they can do a real examination to determine what the problem could be.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 11th 2011, 01:18 AM

It gets wet, but it eventually dries up once it starts hurting.

In spite of being terrified to go through another horrible exam, I'll make an appointment I guess. Thanks for your advice.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is this pain normal? - August 11th 2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
It gets wet, but it eventually dries up once it starts hurting.

In spite of being terrified to go through another horrible exam, I'll make an appointment I guess. Thanks for your advice.
That's probably why it's hurting so bad because you can't stay wet. I know you've tried lube in the past, so why don't you try using a different brand of lube? There are plenty to choose from. This is just another suggestion.

I know exams can be a hassle and embarrassing, but just make sure you be completely honest with this new doctor, or your old gyno.

Closed Thread