TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hellokitty14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Am I considered transgender? - June 30th 2013, 05:31 AM

I'm 13 and was born "male". But I like have always felt female. I'm comfortable as a girl in my body. I have klinefelter's syndrome. I'm trying to obtain hormones in one way or another. I have already a female figure wide hips pear shape softer face and a high pitch voice I pass well as a female. I feel as though I'm a girl but my parents don't approve of how I live and I've moved out because of this into my older sisters place. I have an intersex condition. So I am partly female. So does this preclude me from being trans or not? Honestly I feel like just a girl but there's been a misunderstanding. Opinions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Am I considered transgender? - June 30th 2013, 06:44 PM

Hey there,

In my personal opinion, since you were born "male" and that's what people may identify you as, you could be considered transgender since you were born "male" but feel like you should have been female and will take the steps such as hormones to transition to the gender you feel fits you best. Assign whatever label makes you feel the most comfortable, though, whether that means having people around you call you 'she' or something else entirely, and if telling people you are transgender makes you feel the most comfortable, you can.

However, no matter what label what you're going through right now may be described as, whether it is transgender or not, don't let this stop you from obtaining the hormones you need and doing what you feel you need to do to act and feel female. If there is a step you need to take to make you feel more comfortable in your body, do it. Don't let the label "transgender" stop you.

Hopefully someone else will come along who can add on to this, but personally whether you can be fully identified as transgender or not, do what makes you the most comfortable.

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hellokitty14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I considered transgender? - June 30th 2013, 07:11 PM

Well since I've moved I've blended in as a taller girl at this point it's just my parents not consenting to allowing me to get hormones or to later change my legal gender mark.
When I put quotations for my being born male I meant that no one recognized o had klinefelter's syndrome until I got older which really hasn't helped since its hindered my education since I have learning disabilities. I was thinking of going to a trans youth support group. But I'm kind of nervous. I struggle with family acceptance but in general people accept me as female until they are made to think otherwise and I've felt happier than I was before.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Am I considered transgender? - June 30th 2013, 07:22 PM

I think that going to a trans youth support group would be a brilliant idea. I bet they'd be able to identify with some of the struggles you are facing with your parents not allowing you to get hormones or to change your gender mark. They would be able to help you through any processes you may be having a difficult time with or they can just be good friends to you.

It says your age is 19, so maybe now that you're a legal adult (in the U.S. and maybe elsewhere?) you'll be able to get these hormones and change the mark without parental consent. It's worth a try.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hellokitty14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I considered transgender? - June 30th 2013, 07:50 PM

Lol idk where you saw that I'm actually 13 I just discovered the diagnosis and my parents have been unbearably Unaccepting.
This is actually new to me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Am I considered transgender? - June 30th 2013, 08:34 PM

Whoops, sorry. I was reading the age you signed up as and mixed the two up. Says 19 on the side.
Either way I think a support group would be great. If your older sister is accepting maybe she can take you or at least be someone you can talk to?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Am I considered transgender? - July 1st 2013, 03:10 AM

Well, a lot of people cease to identify as trans, post-transition. Some people who can be considered intersex embrace both terms, while others just say they're intersex. Labels are what you make of it, really.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Hellokitty14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I considered transgender? - July 1st 2013, 05:17 AM

How can I change my age it was a mistake...

I think I like the idea of both identities.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Am I considered transgender? - July 2nd 2013, 10:23 AM

In my opinion, someone who is intersex has every right to identify as trans as well, but they don't have to be. I have an intersex friend who, like you was assigned male, but has characteristics of both, and she is transitioning because she sees herself as a girl. She identifies as trans.

At your age parents are one of the hardest things to deal with. I still haven't come out to my parents properly about being trans. From personal experience I'd recommend finding a trans group to go to. I found a couple where I live and they're amazing, I feel so less isolated when I go and I've made some great friends.

Try going to see a doctor. If you get the doctor on your side and a diagnosis of I think it's gender dysphoria or gender identity disorder I don't know which one at the moment, then they might be able to help you talk to your parents. Your parents might accept it more if it comes backed up by professionals. Also, if you're only 13, you might be able to go on blockers which delay puberty, but don't give you the puberty of the opposite sex so you can still change your mind. That way if in a few years you decide you're definitely female then you can take estrogen. But doctors should know more about that.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread