TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

View Poll Results: Is love enough of a reason to try to pursue a relationship in spite of other factors?
Yes. In most or all cases, love is enough to at least try. 23 44.23%
No. There are some things that are just too difficult to overcome. 23 44.23%
I don't know! / I'm conflicted. 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jamie

Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 02:55 AM

Perhaps the real question is, "Is Hollywood ever right?"

I'm really curious as to what the general consensus is, though: do you think love is enough of a reason to attempt to make a relationship work in spite of anything else that might be playing into it? Other factors might include age, distance, time, religion, social stigma, etc.

I'm talking solely about legal relationships here. A relationship between a 12 year old and a 65 year old clearly isn't applicable.

I'm also not talking about one-sided or unrequited love.

If you feel like sharing them, I'd also like to hear about any experiences that play a role in how you answered. Have you yourself overcome great lengths in a relationship based on love? Or have you tried and wished you hadn't? What about other people in your life?

I know I'm not the only one out there in a difficult relationship. Thanks for any responses.

I've never been afraid of the highest heights or afraid of flying high.
I've never been afraid of the wildest fights, not afraid of dying.

I guarantee you'll miss me, 'cause you changed the way you kiss me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 03:03 AM

If love isn't reason enough to try and make things work, then what is?

My partner and I live 3600 miles apart with a six hour time difference. He's an Atheist while I'm Catholic. We make things work because our relationship is worth more to us than the money we spend flying, the time we spend waiting for each other, and anything else we may encounter.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
drifter Offline
just a hell raising sugar
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dannielle Lorraine

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 03:24 AM

I think love is not enough. I was in a relationship when we were living close but it soon ended after i moved away. I think no matter what eventually age, distance, time, religion, social stigma, etc will take its toll and distroy the relationship.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 04:15 AM

I answered, "Yes," but I believe it depends on the situation. I wouldn't say "most" or "always" because that implies love is always enough to overcome any obstacle in life. I don't believe it is. Sometimes, love isn't enough to make a relationship happy and healthy. If it's a long-distance relationship you're facing, then I believe love can be enough, PROVIDED that you support that love with communication, clear goals for your relationship in the long-term, etc. There are some differences that cannot be overcome, however. What those differences are can be up for interpretation, but some include differences in religious beliefs, moral values, and personality trait conflicts. "Love" isn't a magic wand that can rid a relationship of all its problems. It can take two people a long way, but it isn't a cure-all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 04:39 AM

I chose conficted because to me it really depends on what a person has been through in the relationship. If you both love eachother however the other person is continually hurting you and putting you through unbearable grief then no love is not enough. But I think love is enough if it has to do with distance/religous beliefs/gender and social stigma, also age to some degree.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 06:17 AM

I answered yes. Despite being in relationships where I have loved and lost, I never felt that I regretted those relationships because of that. There could be situation where it might not work out, but I'm a firm believe in love. And, I will always believe in love.

To me, I got into my relationship knowing that I would always come second best to my boyfriends career. No matter what, he will always and forever, choose the Army over me. I have learned to live with that, and even encourage it.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 06:56 AM

If you both love eachother enough, then that's the end of it. No excuses, no nothing.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
EndureEmo Offline
because you are amazing anyway
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Eliza-Grace/Endure

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 07:10 AM

id atlest tryyyyyy :333

"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts... and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

ANDY SIXX
  Send a message via MSN to EndureEmo  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 07:34 AM

I put no. While love is a very dandy and good thing to have in a relationship (obviously), life tends to get alot more complicated and the simple answer of "oh, we're in love" just won't be enough.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 07:50 AM

I chose that I'm conflicted.

My closest friend was engaged to a woman. Whether they were in love or co-dependent or both, it didn't matter. The dynamic of their relationship deteriorated and ultimately led to my friend breaking off their engagement (one of her better decisions, in my opinion). The thing is that the love was there. At least from my friend's end, the love was there. Yet the problem was that she was the only one giving in that relationship. Sure, she had her issues, as we all do, but she made three times the amount of sacrifices that her partner did. Her partner, on the other hand, did not want to try at all. She would "acknowledge" her problems, claim she wanted to work on/through them, and nothing would result; she excused her behaviour with that the solutions wouldn't come overnight, but this didn't change the fact they didn't seem to come at all. This is an example in which there was love, but a lack of much else, one of those things being effort.

And that's why I'm so conflicted. People speak of love as though it's easy, as though love conquers all and that's it, there are no questions, but let's face it, in anything, more than love eventually factors in to it. I have met someone I've fallen madly in love with, someone I see a future with. We're long-distance at the moment. The love is there, but to truly make the relationship work, sacrifices are going to have to be made. The same is true of "local relationships," as I'll call them. Both parties have to put in some amount of effort to make it work, whether this means total sacrifice, compromise, etc., and I honestly think it's ridiculous that some people think they can ride 100% on love. I have known of people who have cheated on their significant others, who have then said "I truly love said significant other," and who have proceeded to cheat again and again. Their partners? Under the impression that with their love, they'll get through it. Yes, love is a part of relationships, but in my opinion, love is fostered by trust, commitment, sacrifice, compromise, loyalty, etc... Love is fostered by so many other attributes of a relationship that without those attributes, the love would not exist, or it would, but it would be unhealthy love.

That aside, I also think it depends, again, on circumstances and individuals. You mentioned age. How big the age gap? A 20 and 30 year old I'm more inclined to disagree with, and see more differences in, than a 40 and 50 year old, for example, but I'd personally date no more than three years my senior; other people feel age is just a number. As far as religion, I think it depends on how serious about religion, or lack thereof, each partner is. Someone who's a devout Catholic, for example, may not be religiously compatible with someone who's a practising Wiccan. And so on and so forth. Some things can be overridden with effort; other things can not.

In the end though, I honestly think that the idea that love conquers all... I feel it stems from the fact people feel that love is the foundation of a relationship, and speaking honestly? It's not. If love were the foundation, then love would be something you have immediately for everyone you meet, because it'd be the grounds on which you built everything else. Relationships are generally built on trust, communication, etc. in addition to the individual traits we each find ourselves individually attracted to. Love stems from those traits; those traits don't stem from love. So no, I don't think love is enough, that love conquers all, etc. You can't take out the bottom of a building and expect the rest of it not to topple over. Take out love and you can still have a relatively functional relationship. Take out some of the fundamental building blocks and you can't have stable, healthy love.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jamie

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 05:38 PM

Some really interesting thoughts! Some of your points I never even considered before. Quite helpful for my thought process, thanks a lot.

I've never been afraid of the highest heights or afraid of flying high.
I've never been afraid of the wildest fights, not afraid of dying.

I guarantee you'll miss me, 'cause you changed the way you kiss me.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Is love enough? - May 6th 2011, 07:38 PM

I answered no. Love is amazing, and it can overcome a lot, but there are some things it can't. And though I wish it could, I know it's not true.
I think love can overcome distance, age and religion. Basically, I agree with Elliotte. There needs to be give and take, and both parties need to put in the effort otherwise it will not work. Love doesn't just happen, and stay that way. You do need to work on it, at least a little.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 12:35 AM

I think there are some things love just can't overcome.

My ex and I loved each other. We still do, and that's something we've both admitted. But loving each other wasn't enough when it turned out that he was hiding a lot from me. What he lied about didn't directly hurt me, but it hurt that he claimed to be doing so well when really he was just covering up one problem with another problem.

I still care for him, and I will always, always be his friend as long as he needs/wants me to be. But I won't put myself in the position of making life plans with someone who, for all I know, is lying about his end of the bargain.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion

I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 02:44 PM

Hmm...sometimes, but not always. I have a personal experience in this one.

My experience was my ex's mother caused us a lot of problems. She forced us to break up, but we were able to secretly date each other for a while until his stepdad was able to convince his mom to let us date, and even after that she kept us under constant surveilance. She even checked his texts to spy on our conversations. All this was because he was a crossdresser, and I didn't have a problem with it. The fact that I accepted his crossdressing really brought us closer. I helped him hide his girl clothes from his parents so he wouldn't get in worse trouble, and supported him when his mom forced him to get therapy because she believed his crossdressing was a mental problem. We both helped each other through a lot and we were very much in love, but in the end our relationship still failed. Even so, I'll always be his friend and be there for him. It's a difficult question to answer because there are so many circumstances.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 05:57 PM

I'm unsure, i used to believe love was enough, but i broke up with my ex 3 weeks ago, we were both unhappy, and when it came down to it, even though we did love each other it seemed to be pointless for us to be together unhappy...

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 06:21 PM

No. Love is never enough there are other more important factors that need to me addressed.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 07:24 PM

I don't knowww I wish it was, but part of me is thinking no.

I think other people have more faith in the concept of love. But I don't think I've ever known what it really is, and that makes me a bit cynical.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
3 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 08:54 PM

You can at least try, then you'll know if the relationship is going anywhere. Obstacles are in the way no matter how close you live, what age you are. You just have to be willing to put the effort (and hopefully your partner too) to try to make it work.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Pug Princess Offline
Bug & Pug <3

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 11:16 PM

I said no because while love can be strong, sometimes there will be challenges that you can't just work out with feelings.
Sometimes love just slips away due to these challenges, and no matter how you felt about each other before whatever happened, that was in the past.
All relationships have problems and yes its good to try, but there are just some things that you cannot overcome.

~~~
Article Editor | Project Advisor
~~~
Skittlify

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Yes, I am a Youth Pastor! :)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Youth Pastor

Re: Is love enough? - May 7th 2011, 11:27 PM

As a married person myself I'd say love isn't all there is. We're both Christians, we have similar interests, and we're committed to building each other up in character. Love is very important obviously but there is so much more work in a relationship.

To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world

Failure isn't when you get knocked down, it's when you don't get back up

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Guardian_Angel Offline
Protector.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Peter

Re: Is love enough? - May 8th 2011, 03:26 AM

Its interesting what everyone has said here.

Its difficult to say mainly because the subject of love is actually quite ambiguous... If someone doesn't put effort into the relationship and into the other person do they truly love them?

Also is there different degrees of levels that you feel love? When you haven't spoken to your SO after a long enough period of time your connection is going to be weak.

I think if your willingness to commit matches your love, then it can overcome any obstacle, though saying that, it is not easy :P

Impossible
is a word
to be found only
in the dictionary of fools.

To do all that one is able to do,
Is to be a man;
To do all that one would like to do,
Is to be a god.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Quiero tener sandŪas con un patito como Tricia!

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Is love enough? - May 9th 2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
I answered no. Love is amazing, and it can overcome a lot, but there are some things it can't.
This is the answer for me.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is love enough? - May 9th 2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
I answered, "Yes," but I believe it depends on the situation. I wouldn't say "most" or "always" because that implies love is always enough to overcome any obstacle in life. I don't believe it is. Sometimes, love isn't enough to make a relationship happy and healthy. If it's a long-distance relationship you're facing, then I believe love can be enough, PROVIDED that you support that love with communication, clear goals for your relationship in the long-term, etc. There are some differences that cannot be overcome, however. What those differences are can be up for interpretation, but some include differences in religious beliefs, moral values, and personality trait conflicts. "Love" isn't a magic wand that can rid a relationship of all its problems. It can take two people a long way, but it isn't a cure-all.
I couldn't have said it better.
I answered yes.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Is love enough? - May 10th 2011, 12:41 AM

I chose 'I'm conflicted'.

Why?

Because I believe it depends on the circumstances, and the type of love that the two people have for each other, and also whether there's equality and (as Elliotte put it) 'effort' in the relationship, on both members' parts. It also depends on the peoples' love of their family, because if they aren't willing to give up their family's trust for the love of their partner, then they aren't gonna work out.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Soliloquy Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is love enough? - May 10th 2011, 04:41 AM

I voted "Yes," as I believe love is enough to at least try. However, I also agree with Robin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Sometimes, love isn't enough to make a relationship happy and healthy. If it's a long-distance relationship you're facing, then I believe love can be enough, PROVIDED that you support that love with communication, clear goals for your relationship in the long-term, etc. There are some differences that cannot be overcome, however. What those differences are can be up for interpretation, but some include differences in religious beliefs, moral values, and personality trait conflicts. "Love" isn't a magic wand that can rid a relationship of all its problems. It can take two people a long way, but it isn't a cure-all.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison

Re: Is love enough? - May 22nd 2011, 03:13 PM

I said yes.
The only situations I've been through have been regarding self harm, attempted suicide and depression, but love helped us pull through together.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Is love enough? - May 22nd 2011, 04:05 PM

I believe so, somewhat. The way I see it, there is always going to be some kind of obstacle whether you're in a relationship or not. Sometimes we can't exactly fix relationships entirely because of some situation that can prevent love to naturally takes it course completely. Either way, I believe we all take a part of each other no matter where we go or what the circumstances may be. Love may take us to the right direction or the wrong direction, but it takes two people with strong feelings to make us happy. Sometimes, it can be unbalanced and a person may become unhappy while the struggle persists. It's always hard to define love when love seems to be the real obstacle itself.

Last edited by SamMarie; May 22nd 2011 at 04:37 PM.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Is love enough? - May 22nd 2011, 04:35 PM

No, I don't think it is.

You could be madly in love with each other but that doesn't mean your relationship is instantly going to work out. There could be problems with age and distance as you said, or you might just not work together, you could constantly argue and what not and no matter how hard you try, you can't make it work out regardless of your feelings for each other.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Is love enough? - May 25th 2011, 04:10 PM

If people think they can't love someone because of other factors, then they don't truly love that person. When you find the one you love you'll want to be with them no matter what.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#30 (permalink)) Old
DanceCommander Offline
Don't Panic
I can't get enough

Name: Jordan

Re: Is love enough? - May 25th 2011, 04:38 PM

There are some things that love just can't overcome. It's sad, but in my experience, it's true. Sometimes you can love someone very deeply but simply not be right for each other. You can't force a square peg into a round hole, if that's indeed how it is.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where-"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."

~The Chesire Cat to Alice~
  Send a message via Yahoo to DanceCommander  
Closed Thread