View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Military spouses-help for a n00b - May 30th 2015, 02:40 AM

I'm not sure on any benefits -before- basic/boot camp since I was not in that situation, although he may receive additional pay as a geo-bachelor. Basically, this means that, because he is required to be somewhere away from his spouse with no opportunity for you to be with him, they "soften the blow" by giving him a little bit of additional pay. I don't know if this applies to boot camp and MOS schools, but it is something for him to ask his recruiter about.
There are other benefits you receive as a military spouse as well. When he does become stationed somewhere, there are two options for housing: living on base with no rent payment and all utilities covered, OR living off base with BAH. BAH is "base allowance for housing" and is a pre-determined amount based on living costs for the area you're in.
There -are- some tuition assistance programs that are available for both military members and dependents such as the GI Bill (which he can transfer to you). They also have employment assistance available for military spouses where you are given priority for DoD job vacancies. That can be a HUGE help, especially when moving from place to place.
Then, of course, there are insurance benefits. Your spouse can enroll you in health insurance at no cost to you. There are a couple of options (Tricare Standard, Tricare Prime) which have different requirements and benefits, but in my experience, it is good health insurance with very little out of pocket costs. You can also get dental insurance and you can even be enrolled in Family Service Members Group Life Insurance (both of these do cost, but dental is pretty minimal).

There are some other smaller benefits such as military discounts at various stores and restaurants for military members and dependents. They can range anywhere from 5% to 25% depending on the business and the area. Some apartments also give military discounts, especially in a military town. You can also shop at the NEX/PX and commissaries which allow you to purchase things without sales tax, and commissaries have lower costs overall.

I would suggest having your partner talk with his recruiter to ask about other benefits. They also have this great thing called Military Family Readiness which can point you in the right direction. They try to do everything in their power to help you, but you -have- to ask. They don't volunteer a lot of information, but if you ask, they're usually happy to give it to you.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi