View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do you talk to your friends about your mental health? - November 29th 2009, 03:06 PM

Hey there Alex,

I honestly think that this is a decision that you should make yourself, as it's a very personal thing. If you want to tell people about your mental health then you should feel able to do that, if not, then that's okay too. No one has to know anything that you don't want them to know.

Personally, I talk to basically everyone about my mental health. I struggle a lot with it and I figured that it's easier that they just know and that i'm open with them about it instead of me having to make up excuses as to why I'm not at school/always at appointments/acting differently. With me speaking so openly, it also lets my friends ask questions about mental health and therefore [hopefully!] remove some of the stigma surrounding it. I have one friend in particular that I've talked to about mental illness and helped her to understand it more.

I haven't had any bad reactions to my friends knowing what's going on and I don't see why I should. I'm able to explain certain things to them that they may think 'why' or be shocked at. I'm the same person I would be if I didn't tell them about my mental health. Other than that, people are pretty understanding.

Overall it is your choice.
Take care.