View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Male infertility :/ - June 22nd 2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmbraceletxo View Post
Firstly, I was merely providing potential readers with my rationale for not utilizing "proper" contraceptive measures (although I really shouldn't have to)--if other members are permitted to freely express their disdain towards abortion, then likewise, I feel permitted to express that I, personally,wouldn't have an issue having one (especially when in speaking of myself). Expression of such sentiments was meant to serve as means of thwarting condescension and lectures about unprotected sex--it wasn't an open invitation for an ethical/moralistic debate. By suggesting that it's inappropriate or otherwise unacceptable for me to even briefly express such ideas, the implication there is that I should feel some element of shame for believing what I believe--and I'm sorry, but as a free-choosing woman, I find that highly offensive.
I was not saying whether it's appropriate to express your idea. I was suggesting that you should avoid listing them when you have no need to if you wish to avoid unnecessary lectures (which you said that you hate in your post above).

To be honest, although I'm pro-choice, I am against using abortion as birth control when other birth-control options are available. In my response to your post, I actually started typing a whole list of alternative birth-control methods (besides condom and oral contraceptives) AND why the withdrawal method doesn't work well.

But then I realized that it's not what you're asking; plus, it's unlikely that you would change your mind anyway. So I deleted all of them and replaced with the suggestion. I thought you might run into others like me; so that's why I suggest you to leave them out to avoid listening reading unnecessary lectures that you dislike anyway.

Here's how your post looks like without that part (please click on the spoiler button). Doesn't look like its meaning changed much:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Hello, everyone! I'm in some need of advice concerning male infertility. [...]

I'm getting rather concerned in regards to [my boyfriend] potentially being infertile--he's quite overweight right now (he has a severe case of binge eating disorder), his testosterone and testicular volume are quite low (according to his doctor), and it's likely that he has a low sperm count. I love this guy to death, and I'm desperately looking forward to having an amazing, fruitful future with him...but I absolutely want children...and I worry that he and I won't be able to conceive (granted, he withdraws considerably early during sex, so perhaps we've just been lucky thus far). Thankfully, his sex drive has heightened over these past couple of months (I literally used to NAG him for sex--because unlike him, I have a near-outrageously high libido for a woman)...so I'm feeling a bit more optimistic, as this COULD potentially be indicative of rising testosterone levels (although I'm not entirely sure).

Anyway, my question(s) is/are: Will losing weight correlate with rising fertility? Would it be wise of him to start employing some of the at-home remedies now? (such as eating 2-3 gloves of garlic daily, eating lots of fruit and vegetables (although he does this already), etc., etc.?), should he have continued with synthetic testosterone injections--as he was a couple of years ago? (he discontinued them because they made him feel horribly aggressive and antagonistic), or what? I really want to be able to have at least ONE child with him in the future--and as expressed, I worry that it won't be possible

Helppp

Quote:
Secondly, as to the idea that I'm overusing medical jargon--I'm really not. It's relatively simplistic terminology--and last time I checked, the terms "fertility" and "infertility" were fairly self-explanatory...and if not, then Google is your friend. If readers can effortlessly provide me was a list of causes of male infertility, then surely they can comprehend the definition of these terms.

Thirdly, I wasn't looking for someone on TH to determine whether or not he's infertile (as this can obviously only be determined with the aid of a physician and/or endocrinologist)--I was merely inquiring about at-home remedies for impotency (as indicated in the last bit of my original post). Granted, I was in a haze and didn't frame my question particularly well--but surely I'm not the only one on here who's been confronted with this issue (especially seeing as how many of TH's members have children of their own--surely they have some knowledge of the human reproductive system, conception, fertility, etc., etc.).
The reason I had a problem with that was because of the nature of your question. It's essentially like this: Okay, I fear he might be infertile, but I don't know the cause. It could be low sperm count; it could be low testosterone. It could also be something else; I don't know. Any home remedy for this?

That's like asking: Hey, I'm think I'm sick. It could be A; it could be B. It could also be something else; I don't know. So please tell me how to cure my sickness.

You admitted it yourself in your "Thirdly": You aren't asking TH to determine whether your boyfriend is fertile and you haven't check with a doctor either, but you want a solution anyway--from experienced people.

I'll admit that I'm stupid, but I thought that it would be really hard for anyone to suggest a potential solution without first knowing the cause of the problem.

-------------------

As for possible causes of male infertility, the common ones are pretty much common sense really. So listing four or six of them shouldn't be problem to anyone, especially men.

Possible causes of male infertility: Low sperm count, low testosterone, too many weird-shaped sperms, problems with the veins, generic problems, STDs, etc.

Listing the medical term AND the specific problem would be harder, but many of us do know them:
  • Low sperm count -- no idea what the med term is -- less than 10 million sperms per millimeter in his semen.
  • Low testosterone -- no idea what the med term is -- something happened to the testicles or the part of the brain that produces the hormone that controls the testicles.
  • Too many abnormal shape sperms -- no idea what the med term is -- at least 60% of his sperms need to be normal shape, these guys need to be in shape to swim.
  • Problem with the veins -- varicose veins -- veins swell up because the blood can't flow (due to something happened)
  • Genetic problems -- no idea about anything on this one
  • STDs/STIs -- Sexual transmitted disease/infection -- we all know these.

Doctors are the ones who supposed to know the details. But most men do know the general idea. C'mon, women aren't the only ones who know about their body here.

Quote:
Also, I'm very familiarized with IVF--but as noted, I was hoping for advice concerning preventative measures and at-home cures...IVF would (HOPEFULLY) be a last resort. Needless to say (and as already noted), my question wasn't presented very well--and for that, I apologize.
When you said this, "I love this guy to death, and I'm desperately looking forward to having an amazing, fruitful future with him...but I absolutely want children...and I worry that he and I won't be able to conceive," I thought you didn't know about IVF because you sounded rather . . . desperate.

Quote:
Please don't misconstrue my response as being somehow overly-antagonistic--it's just that if underage children are allowed to overtly express their pregnancy woes, their issues concerning sexual health and reproduction, and many at times, their reasons as to why they feel abortion is wrong (which thus compels them to carry/keep otherwise unwanted children), then I'm having a difficult time understanding how/why my post is in any way objectionable. I'm not trying to offend anyone, here--I respect everyone's right to make their own personal decisions...I'm just asking that that same courtesy be mutually extended.
I ask the same from you,

Last edited by Digilodger; June 22nd 2011 at 02:51 AM.