TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Treble Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,480, Level: 11 Points: 6,480, Level: 11 Points: 6,480, Level: 11

Depression and family problems affecting schoolwork and exams - January 5th 2015, 06:28 PM

I wont bore you with the details but I'm pretty much falling behind in everything. I'm in the middle of mock exams at the moment, and I haven't revised for anything, and I don't intend to either. I don't feel sad all of the time, it kind of goes on and off. Sometimes if I'm really busy, it kind of distracts me from how sad I am. If I'm by myself or if my mind wanders then I become really sad again. I cant concentrate on my exams, I don't have the motivation to do well because I honestly don't really care. It's ok now cuz they're just mocks, but what if I'm still feeling this way in a few months when it's the real thing?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TwilightPrince Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mo

Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11

Re: Depression and family problems affecting schoolwork and exams - January 5th 2015, 10:22 PM

Hey

I was in the exact same situation as you this time last year so I understand how hard it is to try and focus on doing well in the exams to come whilst dealing with depression. The fact that you're worried about your lack of motivation at the moment shows that you do care about your exams and so that in itself can provide you with some motivation to start working and do well.

Firstly, I'd recommend you try and set up a revision timetable as you're more likely to stick with it that way than if you didn't have one. You can start off slowly by doing say one or two hours of revision a day, and then gradually increase the time you're spending on revision as it will be much easier to do it that way. It may seem like a lot of effort now, but you'll realise that it was all worth it after you've finished them and you get the grades you want.

Secondly, about the depression, do you know why you're feeling this way? If there's a particular reason as to why you're feeling the way you are then it may be easier for you to work out how to deal with it better. Also, it may help if you talk to somebody about it, whether it be a family member, a friend or a counsellor. They can offer you help and advice in dealing with it, and it's much easier to get through it if you have someone there to help you with it.
I hope this has helped
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
amyrebecca Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,158, Level: 10 Points: 5,158, Level: 10 Points: 5,158, Level: 10

Re: Depression and family problems affecting schoolwork and exams - January 14th 2015, 03:08 AM

hey, I completely know how you feel. As of right now I am only going to half of my classes and am not able to do the homework or studying due to depression. All I can think about in the morning is how much I don't want to be alive so it's pretty hard to get through the day in school. But you know as terrible as it can be I will try to encourage you that you have made it this far! You are alive so you still have a chance, the future is up to you, I mean you can dream up anything you want to do. As hard it is for me to do, I try to find one thing in my day that I like, and that may be the only thing sometimes that gets me through the day. For school if you can possibly talk to anyone about what your biggest concerns are for school, then they could help you to figure out manageable things for you to do, and what is realistic for you. Usually there is a guidance councellor at school, have you talked to him/her?, because I know I didn't even think about that option (due to bad experiences in the past with councellors :/) until I literally couldn't go into my school. But she has helped me a lot to figure out what is manageable for me to be doing and what I can forget about. I could literally go on for hours but just try to find some source of hope. And don't take anybody's crap. People that aren't going through similiar things or are too inconciderate to care just won't give you the help, guidance and real freaking comfort that you need right now
hope this helped
if not that is completely okay
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tommy1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,469, Level: 10 Points: 5,469, Level: 10 Points: 5,469, Level: 10

Re: Depression and family problems affecting schoolwork and exams - January 20th 2015, 04:25 AM

Hi there, funny, but, I am in the same situation as you are it feels like I am stuck into something. Motivation is down to zero, and still continuing decreasing at the moment I can't even think straight right now. Depression is really hitting me so bad. The thing is, this coming week will be my examination period, And I can't concentrate on my studies right now. Too much trouble crossing my mind. First, my dad is struggling to his addiction problem, it got too bad that we need to consult him into one of a rehab facilities, or something will cure his addiction. Instead of studying, I buried myself searching some good treatment center near our place, I feel like a maniac reading these thousands or millions of sites that pertaining to substance abuse, like this page for example, Alcohol Addiction Center Norfolk VA refering how good rehab is, heck, i didn't even understand what i am reading, too many scenes keep popping up in my mine .Second, my mom is leaving us for another guy ;( it hurts me so bad seeing my family falling and tearing apart ;( I don't know what to do anymore, gotta lose this feeling of in a middle of nowhere. And I still have this coming exam. My life is in a mess My apology if using your thread to vent my frustrations, I just feel like I am in the same situation as you are. And I am so sorry if I can't be a help this time
Closed Thread