TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21

Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 12:41 PM

So I'm pretty sure I might have depression as I have most of the symptoms listed on the NHS website. I've got a doctors appointment in a few hours which I originally made for a check up for some medication that I'm on, but I'm thinking about making a new appointment for that and using this one to talk to my doctor and try and get this thing sorted out. I'm so sick of feeling like this, but I'm terrified of actually telling someone face to face about how I feel.
Should I talk to my doctor about my (possible) depression or should I just go for the check up?
I need advice :/
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ieatpeople Offline
Teehee..i eat cheeks first...
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Points: 10,676, Level: 15 Points: 10,676, Level: 15 Points: 10,676, Level: 15

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 12:49 PM

do both. depression can be psychosomatic (it could lead to other physical sicknesses) and the other way around (other diseases or sickness leading to depression) It better and so you don't feel worried all the time. and anyway, extra check ups dont hurt
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Points: 17,414, Level: 19 Points: 17,414, Level: 19 Points: 17,414, Level: 19

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 12:55 PM

I would talk to your doctor about how you have been feeling, and that you think you have depression. It's important to do this sooner, because sometimes when you look up symptoms and presume that you have something, you start to [unconsciously] create other symptoms in your mind. I'm not saying this is what you have done, but I'm saying it's possible if you leave it for longer thinking that you have depression.

It's hard telling someone face to face how you've been feeling, but I really think it will help you if you do. When I spoke to my doctor about my depression for the first time I wrote things down so that I didn't have to actually say anything. If you do this there are two options, the first would be to write things down and then you read it out to him - you'd be using the paper as a guide if you got nervous and couldn't think of what to say, or if you find that too difficult, write things down and then give them the paper to read themselves. Either way would work, and could be something to think about.

I'm glad that you're thinking of talking to your doctor though. That in itself is a positive step forward.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Points: 28,963, Level: 24 Points: 28,963, Level: 24 Points: 28,963, Level: 24

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 01:00 PM

I definitely think that you should try and talk to your doctor about you thinking you might have depression. They're the only people that can tell you if you do have depression or not--they are the only one's who can give you a proper diagnosis. Doctors are professionals and if they think that you do have depression, they might want you to make another appointment with them to talk about it further and what help they can offer you. That's what happened to me when I went to my doctors about depression. If it's something that you feel is becoming a problem, then don't dismiss it. It is scary talking to your doctor about things like this; I was so nervous when I did it, but it's something that I'm glad I did do in the end. They will offer you support and advice on what to do. If you find it hard talking to someone face-to-face about something like this, why not write it down and hand it to your doctor? Doctors know that depression is hard to talk about. They won't force you to say anything.

I think it's great that you want to get things sorted out.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 01:06 PM

Thankyou all for the support. I think I'm definately going to try and talk to my doctor about it. I've been feeling like this for so long. I just want to be happy again.
What's likely to happen when I talk to my doctor about this? I'm so scared :/
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella.x View Post
Thankyou all for the support. I think I'm definately going to try and talk to my doctor about it. I've been feeling like this for so long. I just want to be happy again.
What's likely to happen when I talk to my doctor about this? I'm so scared :/
I went to my doctors about my depression last year. It takes a lot of courage to go to the appointment and face your fears of talking to someone about it. But you don't have to suffer alone with this. You can feel happy again. Doctors will try and help you the best they can.

When I went to my doctor, I was a nervous wreck, to put it simply. The doctor asked me general questions like: "How long have you been feeling like this?", "When and how did it all start?" and we talked about symptoms of depression. He asked me a question that I didn't want to answer and he didn't make me say anything I didn't want to say. Doctors are understanding and you could tell them at the beginning of the appointment that your scared and they will understand.

Going to the doctors with someone for support can be a big help. I brought my mum along with me to my appointment for support. Is there anyone you could bring along with you? It might make things a little easier?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 01:37 PM

I haven't really got anyone to bring with me. I don't have any close friends anymore and my family don't know =[
I'm so scared I feel like I'm going to be sick, but I know I need help before I do something really stupid. Thankyou all so much for the support.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 04:48 PM

I failed. I chickened out. I couldn't do it. She smiled at me and I just couldnt say it so I just pretended I was there for a check up for something else. I'm so pathetic. I can't even bring myself to say a few words. I don't even deserve help.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Points: 30,836, Level: 25 Points: 30,836, Level: 25 Points: 30,836, Level: 25

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 04:57 PM

Ella, you are definitely not pathetic! I think you are really brave to even consider talking to your doctor and realising that you do need help. Some people wouldn't even be able to do that. You do deserve help. Why shouldn't you? It can be really difficult to reach out for that help though, but once you have got that help it will be a weight off you and you will feel better for doing it. You could make another appointment to see your doctor and write everything down and give it to your doctor. That way you wouldn't have to explain it all. Just remember that you do deserve help :-) I am here if you ever want to talk.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 05:10 PM

Okay, so I've decided to get another appointment and write things down this time as suggested. Any ideas on what to write though? I'm really bad at stuff like this :/
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 05:43 PM

Ella, what I did when I went to the doctor for my depression was that I wrote a simple note, which was a list of 'symptoms' (loneliness, cry a lot etc.). This helped both me and the doctor. After you have given them this, the doctor will help you to help them by asking you questions. You don't have to answer anything you're uncomfortable with. Writing a note is a very good idea, I wouldn't have been able to say anything without that piece of paper, it was a good catalyst. I realise that it's hard, but in the long run it will be SO worth it!
You are in no way pathetic, it may take a few times but you can do it. It took me several opportunities until I actually said anything.

Stephanie
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I failed. I chickened out. I couldn't do it. She smiled at me and I just couldnt say it so I just pretended I was there for a check up for something else. I'm so pathetic. I can't even bring myself to say a few words. I don't even deserve help.
Ella, your not a failure. It takes so much courage to actually arrange an appointment to go and see your doctor about something as difficult to talk about such as depression. It's even harder to find the courage actually go the the doctors itself. Let me tell you this though: you do deserve some help with this, you deserve to be listened to and you can be happy again. When I went to my doctors about my depression and I waiting in the waiting area, I nearly walked out because I didn't know what to expect and was so scared. I found out it's not as bad as you might think. I wrote a note to my doctor, also. I wrote how I was feeling, how long I've been feeling depressed, how it started and my symptoms. The more information you can include in the note, the better, as the doctor will have a better understanding of your situation then and will be able to help more. But just write down what your comfortable with.

I'm always here if you need to talk. Feel free to PM me any time.

Take care.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 07:13 PM

Okay, so I've written this, but I don't think its any good =[

I came here today because I think that I ight be depressed. I think that it started about 3 1/2 years ago as that is the first time I remeber completely hating myself and feeling hopelessly unhappy for long periods of time. I also started cutting myself around this time as a response to the hatred of myself. Over the past year it has been considerably worse. I am having trouble concentrating in college as a result of feeling depressed and having suicidal thoughts, which is having a negative effect on my grades. I have also been having difficulty in getting to sleep and I often wake up during the night. I feel exhausted and irritable due to not being able to sleep properly. I rarely go out with friends as I avoid social situations, however this makes me feel even more isolated and lonely.

do you think the doctor will tell my parent if i tell her about the cutting/ suicidal thoughts?
Thanks for all the help
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Re: Doctor? - February 26th 2009, 08:57 PM

Ella, I think what you've wrote in that note to give to the doctor is good. Including things like when it started and your symptoms (which you have in your note) will give the doctor a better understanding of your situation so he'll be able to help you more. You deserve some support and help with what your going through, you need not to go through it alone.

Quote:
do you think the doctor will tell my parent if i tell her about the cutting/ suicidal thoughts?
I'm not entirely sure about this. I've looked on the internet for answers but different sites are saying different things so I don't want to tell you the wrong thing. I would think that what you say between you and your doctor stays in the room, but don't just take my word for it. I would ask your doctor about confidentiality before you go ahead and give the note to your doctor. That way she'll be able to tell you if she has to tell your parents or not. Or maybe you could ring up the doctors and see if they can tell you? Just some suggestions.
Closed Thread