TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cloudpainter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,504, Level: 11 Points: 6,504, Level: 11 Points: 6,504, Level: 11

Cutting Help - March 21st 2013, 03:40 AM

So I have had clinical depression for about three years now, and I take medication and go to therapy, and about three months ago I began to cut myself.
Whenever I cut myself, I feels like it's not me doing it. I will look back on it later, and I am confused to as why I would do it.
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me advice, or tell me that I'm not crazy.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Cutting Help - March 21st 2013, 10:36 AM

Hey there,

I don't think this is crazy at all! I think the reason you may still do it is because in a way, self harming becomes an addiction that can be pretty difficult to stop, even if it doesn't do anything for you. The thing with self harm, though, is that it really doesn't help anything. In reality, you just have to worry about hiding the cuts and scars as well as the risk of an infection. Not only that but any problems you may have would come back if it did anything for you because you aren't solving the problem, only doing something that would really make it worse. But, I think that maybe it's the addiction factor that keeps you coming back.

I think this is something that you can try to talk to your therapist about. He or she would be able to give you ways to cope with what is going on in your life as well as try to get to the root of why you are self harming in the first place. I know that it can be scary to tell someone about this but they are there for you and will do what they can to help you get through this.

This is a list of alternatives to self harm. Use these when you want to self harm because they are safer, healthier ways to cope that won't have some of the risks I mentioned previously. These will give you a distraction or whatever else you may need.

Keep your head held high and stay strong! One day this will get better!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread