TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20

Self-harm and mania/hypomania - July 20th 2013, 10:18 AM

I know self-harm is often associated with depression, low self-esteem, desire to control something, and other things that are generally interpreted as being on the more negative side of life.

I was just wondering if anybody else has any experience of self-harm on the . . . well, not more positive, put perhaps higher side of life. I have been diagnosed with a mood disorder and as a result I experience highs and lows.

I find I self-harm frequently whilst I am in a more elevated state.

Does anyone else find this for themselves? Does anybody have any insight as to why this may be the case? I have always assumed that if a person feels like they're in a good space mentally, that they would be LESS likely to self-harm but for myself it doesn't seem to quite work like that?

Any responses would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Viper1996 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 7,919, Level: 13 Points: 7,919, Level: 13 Points: 7,919, Level: 13

Re: Self-harm and mania/hypomania - July 20th 2013, 10:32 AM

I have Ptsd and psychosis, I have up and downs, but when I'm down I self harm less then when I'm up, I don't know when I asked my CAMHS worker they said its because when ur up, you think more clearly about things. I don't know if this is the same with you.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lurkalot Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Me

Points: 6,816, Level: 12 Points: 6,816, Level: 12 Points: 6,816, Level: 12

Re: Self-harm and mania/hypomania - July 20th 2013, 10:46 AM

Hi Jess, I have a similar experience. I only self harm when I am in a hypomanic/manic state because I have so much energy that I need to get rid of moderately safely- self harm helps with that.

By safely (obviously self harm isn't safe) I mean more safe than what I would do without self harm- I get suicidal when I am low but I don't have the energy to go through with it, however when I'm up I really have the urge to kill myself, so self harm kind of calms that down a little. Also when I'm manic I generally want to do very dangerous things. It doesn't matter what my manic mood is, a depressed-like manic state or an ecstatically happy one, I self harm to appease the immense energy.
Closed Thread