TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wings Offline
dreaming my life away
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,043, Level: 12 Points: 7,043, Level: 12 Points: 7,043, Level: 12

I stopped cutting... but I keep finding other ways to hurt myself - September 25th 2013, 05:43 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

The last time I cut myself was months ago, but still to this day the urges to self harm will not go away. I decided to stop after I lost it and cut myself in front of my mother deliberately; I felt so much guilt and shame that I promised her I'd never do something so horrible again. Although, I tried really hard, my self discipline has been starting to deteriorate lately. Whenever things start to get bad, all I can think about is cutting and when I refuse myself of it - my mind jumps to other things like burning, scratching, whipping, etc. (Including other bad activities like drinking or smoking) It's like my mind starts racing and is flooded with these urges to do horrible things to myself; and eventually the emotions just become too heavy.
I still haven't cut myself, but lately I've been scratching and pinching my hands until they're swollen and red. I've been also holding my arms in steaming hot water for as long as I can, I keep trying to justify these things because technically they're not "cutting." But deep down I know it's still wrong.
Any advice on how I can get through this? Is it normal to continue having urges for this long?

Thank you for reading
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: I stopped cutting... but I keep finding other ways to hurt myself - September 25th 2013, 01:12 PM

Congrats on going months without cutting! Here, have some balloons. You should be proud of yourself

With time, these urges do slowly subside. But with anyone who has struggled with self harm or anything similar, it's going to be a little remnant in your head for a while. Because you're not letting go of these emotions, it becomes manifested in another way. Can you find out what's behind these feelings? Find out what's been triggering you? If you feel triggered, try to write down why. It doesn't have t be legible because it's just you having to read and write it. Another thing to do is to keep yourself distracted. You might want to check this thread out.You could talk on the phone, go for a run, that sort of thing. You've come so far without cutting, you can keep going!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19

Re: I stopped cutting... but I keep finding other ways to hurt myself - September 25th 2013, 03:25 PM

Well done on going without cutting, that's really good. You should be really proud of yourself.
As Cassie said, try and distract yourself. Make sure to take good care of your wounds, you can find first aid information here. You could also call up a local hotline for someone to talk to, you can find hotlines here.
Feel free to VM or PM me if you ever need to talk.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: I stopped cutting... but I keep finding other ways to hurt myself - September 26th 2013, 08:35 PM

Hey there,

I think it is normal to come up with other ways to self harm. I know that I have struggled with this in the past but as stated you can overcome this. Recovering from self harm can be a really hard thing to do but it is worth it.

I think you should definitely check out the alternatives to self harm whenever you are feeling an urge to harm yourself. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/) It might seem as though the alternatives are not working at first but if you keep using them your body can and will adjust to them. Your body has gotten used to self harm so it will take time for it to adjust to other ways of coping.

Would you feel comfortable reaching out to your parents or another trusted adult about this so that you could work on getting counseling for this? I know that might be hard to do but in the end counseling could be a really good tool for you in overcoming this. A counselor would give you a safe place to talk about all the things that are bothering you and would help you work on finding healthy ways of coping with your stressors.

Do you know the things that are triggering your urges? If you can work on figuring out what is triggering you you can work on trying to resolve those issues or at least find some proper coping skills for those triggers. Something that might help you work on identifying your triggers is keeping a journal. Whenever you are feeling an urge to harm yourself you can write in your journal and this will, hopefully, open you up to some of your triggers.

I really hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
scarsremindme Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: James Bruce

Points: 6,367, Level: 11 Points: 6,367, Level: 11 Points: 6,367, Level: 11

Re: I stopped cutting... but I keep finding other ways to hurt myself - September 27th 2013, 05:45 PM

cutting is an addictive behaviour and so are all other forms of self harm. and while you are not cutting you are hurting yourself and thats one in the same thing. go to a professional and talk about other ways to cope with your problems.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Wings Offline
dreaming my life away
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,043, Level: 12 Points: 7,043, Level: 12 Points: 7,043, Level: 12

Re: I stopped cutting... but I keep finding other ways to hurt myself - September 29th 2013, 02:59 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded! I really appreciate all the encouragement, and it's relieving to hear that these urges will subside more one day. I'm going to start journaling my triggers and take it from there. I'll also be sure to check out the page of alternatives - thanks for posting the link, BreakingBeautifully!
Thank you again for the insight
Closed Thread