TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15

Safely Disposing of Self Harm Tools - March 12th 2015, 07:13 PM

Hey guys! I've decided that I'm going to get rid of the blades that I have used in the past to self harm. My top priority in all of this is safety - I wouldn't want another person or an animal to get hurt because I disposed of something improperly.

I've been doing some research on how to get rid of them safely, and it looks like I might be able to purchase a home sharps container to put them in. Then, I could dispose of them at my local waste collection facility (for free… ). It wouldn't exactly be ceremonial, but as far as I can tell, it would be the safest way. Do you guys have any other ideas as to how to do this safely? Any idea of what to put them in, in case the sharps container wouldn't work?

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: Safely Disposing of Self Harm Tools - March 13th 2015, 12:24 AM

Hey Laura,

In the past what I would do was, wrap the sharpies in toilet paper and throw them into the garbage. At the time, I couldn't dispose of them properly. Till you do get the container or bio-hazardous container (that's what we call them here), you could wrap them in a cloth or toilet paper and safely put them in a small box in the meantime.

I know it might be strange, but any pharmacy (or doctors office) has them and you can ask if you can dispose of some sharpies, you can drop them in the box safely. Another option is Sexual Health Clinics have drop boxes for needles and such (they have boxes like that in my city) but unsure if you have similar boxes available to you.

If you wanted to do a ceremony for disposing your sharpies and your progress to not harm yourself, you could write a letter or give a small speech. You could do this with family, friends, teachers, a doctor, counselor/therapist, etc., if you feel comfortable doing that. It is good to let others know this big step you are taking.

Take Care,
Chantal

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread