TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xyzman Offline
wolfboy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: call me DK

Points: 12,230, Level: 16 Points: 12,230, Level: 16 Points: 12,230, Level: 16

Question is this self harm? - April 27th 2015, 07:03 PM

So one I don't want to eat and two I don't have an apatite any more so I'm not eating and I haven't eaten in like two days and I'm not sleeping well because I stay up light even though I have to get up rely and I just don't sleep well in the first place so I'm not getting good sleep is this considers self harm???
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21

Re: is this self harm? - April 27th 2015, 07:38 PM

I would think you may developing an eating disorder. Self harm is when your purposely doing it but your saying your losing your appetite. It may be considered if you were punishing yourself by not eating or sleeping. But I would suggest talking with a doctor because I don't know too much about just what I've gone through and although I have self harmed and my eating disorder falls slighting into that because when I do it it's not because I don't like mh body which developed after the fact but rather that I was punishing myself for my mistakes but never rewarding myself

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13

Re: is this self harm? - April 27th 2015, 11:29 PM

Hey,

While it doesn't sound like what you're doing is self harm, it does sound like a problem. It's possible that you're just a little sick or not feeling well if you've only lost your appetite for a couple of days, but for anything longer than that, you should consider telling a parent or trusted adult that you haven't been hungry and aren't eating. Even if it's not an eating disorder, it's still not good to not eat, and you deserve to get help and feel better.

This page (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...499-self-harm/) is a useful list of what's considered self harm and what's not, and the alternatives list (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/) is also really helpful. Even though your problem with eating doesn't sound like self harm, several of the things on the list can make you feel better, and some of the calming ones might help you sleep better.

Hope you figure this out. Message me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: is this self harm? - April 27th 2015, 11:59 PM

I think unhealthy eating habits can be considered self-harm if you're doing it with the intention of harming your body. However, if you're restricting your intake because you want to lose weight, you could be developing an eating disorder like it's already been said. Perhaps you can do some breathing exercises, or listen to some nature sounds to help you fall asleep. Drinking tea or lying down in a comfortable space with no distractions might help you sleep as well. Try to get some rest, and take care of yourself! If your habits surrounding eating and sleeping continue, I suggest talking to someone about it.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread