TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
21j10 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,078, Level: 9 Points: 4,078, Level: 9 Points: 4,078, Level: 9

Question does biting your arm count as self harm? - July 29th 2016, 09:12 AM

when I get really angry I tend to either bite my finger or my arm, it's only normally at night time when my cat stresses me out from crying all night, other the that I don't really do it, I don't mean to do it and I don't want to hurt myself nor do I have intentions to do it, I have ocd and anxiety and it occurred to me that maybe I am self harming without noticing? I have always told my therapist that I don't self harm as I never really took notice of biting my arm, I'm quite worried as I do as fears about harming myself or getting ill and dying that sort of thing, has anyone got any advice or if they could tell me if I am
Self harming? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I've been here a while

Name: Lauren

Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22

Re: does biting your arm count as self harm? - July 29th 2016, 09:51 PM

Hi there,

I've looked into what classifies as self harm, and from our sticky thread "Is this self harm?" I found this -

Quote:
Anything you do to physically hurt yourself in order help yourself cope with a situation is self harm.
I think your situation is a little different, but it does make sense. If you're unaware and don't bite your arms and fingers for the pain, I don't think it's quite there, but it could just be a different type of self harm. I think you should definitely talk to your therapist about it though and let them know, because either way it is hurting you. I have a friend who picks her fingers when stuff like that happens, and she has OCD and anxiety as well. I do not think it counts technically as self harm, but I am not an professional.

I hope this is helpful!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."
Closed Thread