TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Self harm and tattoos - April 8th 2018, 02:14 PM

So, I have wanted a tattoo for quite some time. I never really had any ideas about what I would want other than some book related ones.

I found a few art pieces that could inspire the tattoos. I wouldn't want them to be the same and I would want to add things.

My question is, what questions should I ask a tattoo artist about working with self harm scars?

I know it's more complicated because my scars are quite bad and some are raised etc. I do know it's possible, in some cases, but you need someone who has experience working with scars.

I have family that know people who can do tattoo's so they'd probably be good people to consult with as they'd be more honest with me about if it would be possible and where etc. Some of the people are close to my family so they might be willing to look around.

But, I don't really know what questions to ask. I've watched videos about it from artists and people with self harm who've gotten them done. I know a good artist will work with you and be honest about it being possible or what would work instead. Currently there is only one that would be on my forearm and that is where a lot of my scars are.

I just need a starting point on what to look for. I have time before doing this as I have to figure out the questions, gather the courage to talk to the family members about it, figure out cost and then figure out the money.

Help would be appreciated as this isn't something I've been intent on until recently and that's mainly because I found art that could inspire it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Self harm and tattoos - April 10th 2018, 09:40 PM

Hey,

Honestly when I went to get my tattoo that was over my self-harm scars I think I asked if he was able to tattoo over them and he said yes. I do know that the scars have to be at least a year old and can't be pinkish purple at all.

Honestly I would just ask them what you think is right. I didn't really ask many questions because I do not like making a big deal about me having scars so I just show them where I want it and let them decide if they can do it or not.

I know I didn't really answer your questions about what to ask. But I hope this helps anyways.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Self harm and tattoos - April 10th 2018, 09:51 PM

Thank you for replying. It did help a bit. I struggle with asking questions especially because it would pertain to my self harm but I have a bigger concern that the tattoo artist wouldn't be truthful. That being said, I think that thought process is more an anxious one and less of something that would happen.

I think I will discuss with them whether or not the place I want to get it done is possible and I'd likely show them the design to make sure that is possible as well.

Good news is all the scars on my arms are about 5 years old and the ones on the arm I'd like to get tattoo'd are older. So, hopefully that is one thing that won't deter me from getting the tattoo.

Thanks again for responding.
Closed Thread