TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kaitlin9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,770, Level: 12 Points: 7,770, Level: 12 Points: 7,770, Level: 12

Self harm and cutting - September 1st 2011, 09:09 AM

Ever since I can remember I have been hurting myself in some sort of way when I was little I used to bite my fingernails until they bled now I just cut ive never told anyone about my cutting but earlier this year my boyfriend of 18 months noticed what I was doing and has been trying to convince me to stop and ive been trying to because lets face it I don't like it either but ive only ever been able to go a month with out starting again. I find I do it when im really stressed and panic as it makes me feel more in control but is there a way without me having to tell my parents that i can stop this.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Self harm and cutting - September 1st 2011, 09:27 AM

yes there is. instead of cutting and doing bad stuff when you're stressed, try going to a party or something else that is more relaxing and enjoyable. =) never ever think that cutting's the only option that will help because there's so many others. Things like just having some fun, hangout sessions or just a good movie may help =) never overlook alternative options that have positive effects!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
kaitlin9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,770, Level: 12 Points: 7,770, Level: 12 Points: 7,770, Level: 12

Re: Self harm and cutting - September 1st 2011, 09:36 AM

i cant go to party's and stuff as i cant stand crowds due to when im around people i panic (OCD)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: Self harm and cutting - September 1st 2011, 11:54 AM

Take a deep breath, and make a list of things that you like to do. Keep this list with you at all times, and just go down the list every time you get an urge. Find an alternative to SH. Or do what I do.. Set a goal. When you reach this goal, reward yourself with something small (ie, something you usually wouldn't do/eat.. like your favorite ice cream?). And expand the goal by a few days/a week/a month. It really helps for me. So start with one month without it, then maybe go an extra month and a half. etc etc.

If you can't stop for someone else, stop for yourself. Stop because you want to be happy and healthy. Stop because you want to. If you don't want to, it's going to make it much more difficult.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread