TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
will was here Offline
You're stronger than you think
Average Joe

Name: Will!

Points: 9,811, Level: 14 Points: 9,811, Level: 14 Points: 9,811, Level: 14

Thumbs up Advice for cutting addiction - February 23rd 2012, 05:54 PM

I was talking to a friend earlier and I came to a realization. It has to do with perhaps why people who cut have such a hard time quitting. I felt it was important for other people to hear this as well as they work to stop their self harm. It is this.
In any addiction, and yes I believe cutting can be an addiction, one of the key things that keep us from breaking that addiction is being told we are not allowed to do it or that it is wrong. sort of like a person with fear of heights wants to jump when they see they are at the edge of a cliff. They are so afraid of falling they try to fall so they can get some control. it's that loss of control that's so terrifying. That fear of there's something wrong with us or we don't want this to happen makes it happen. Could it be that sometimes we push against something so much that it pushes us back from our goal. Like swimming. you have to go with the water to stay afloat.
So I guess what i'm saying is hurting yourself is bad but it isn't the end of the world when you mess up. You cannot and should not ever beat yourself up because it will only make the healing process harder. You could potentially push yourself backward. all that pressure from the haters in the world, (people who would judge you for your struggle with self harm and the people who make you feel guilty) none of them matter. only you matter and only you killing the addiction. killing that need to self harm. of course this might be more helpful if the situation(s) that caused you to SH in the first place are solved.
We all have our battles and we all have addictions. SH is no less important then any of the others.

flower
hello my heart where have you been
I missed you when you left
you ran away with that senseless boy
and left me dim and dry
like a faded flower in the mist

Come back my heart. you have a home here
In this place that is my soul
I want to feel like whole again. don't waste your time with him

Have faith my heart. You'll get a second chance
come back to me and you will not be alone
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Advice for cutting addiction - February 23rd 2012, 10:40 PM

Thank you for sharing this. What you said makes a lot of sense, and I think it might help people stop cutting. Although I haven't self-harmed much, the times I have, I've noticed that one of the reasons I wanted to do it so much is because it's something that is considered bad and something I shouldn't do. And then when you screw up you want to do it even more. Yet it makes you feel better and in control. I think that there are more factors involved such as the problems a person faces in life and the fact that it is a coping method (because inflicting physical pain upon oneself actually stimulates pain receptors in our brains which cause chemicals to be released in order to make us feel better). But this is something I never really considered as a main factor before. Thank you.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17

Re: Advice for cutting addiction - February 23rd 2012, 11:49 PM

Thank you for sharing!
I really loved the way that you put that!

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3
Closed Thread