TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lion Heart Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Caite

Points: 8,346, Level: 13 Points: 8,346, Level: 13 Points: 8,346, Level: 13

Professor apparently doesn't respect my learning disability - January 20th 2015, 11:49 PM

I talked to my teacher early in the quarter about whether there would be math on the tests. I did this because I have a severe math learning disability called dyscalculia. If a class does ask me to work with numbers, then I can talk to the office of disabilities and receive accommodations.
I asked him again the other day because on our lab was a simple division problem and I had thought heck, I should probably make sure just in case. He kind of mocked me with his answer. He said, "I already said there would be any, didn't I? What you don't believe me? Did you really think that was hard?"
I am used to being made for of for my inabilities while working with numbers, it happened all the time in elementary. So I shrugged it off and assured myself that is was probably a good idea to make sure and tried not to let it bother me.

Today in class he made a point of bring it up and saying some students were complaining about the simple math in the packet and how it wasn't even real math and that he had no sympathy as it was baby math. He complains about how short the classes are so I am unsure as to why he takes valuable class time to complain about one of his students concerns about the math in the packet. He seems like the kind of intellectual elitist that would tell me not to reproduce so I don't pass on my stupidity. I guess this is just kind of a rant? There isn't really anything I can do about him being a bully. Do you think I am being overly sensitive?

"If you touch a spider web anywhere, you set the whole thing trembling. . . . As we move around this world and as we act with kindness, perhaps, or with indifference, or with hostility toward the people we meet, we too are setting the great spider web a-tremble. The life that I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place and time my touch will be felt. Our lives are linked. No person is an island."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Professor apparently doesn't respect my learning disability - January 21st 2015, 12:09 AM

You're not being sensitive, what he did was rude and borderline inappropriate, I would get accommodations for the class (if not all of them just to be safe) and let it go. Some professors are like that. Do what you feel is necessary, get through the class and put him behind you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread