TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

I don't drink alcohol - August 13th 2011, 12:37 AM

hello,

I wasn't all to sure where to put this so feel free to move it

I'm not sure whether it is weird that I don't drink alcohol because it is SUCH a common thing now a days.

I don't drink because I've never liked it and don't see the point in it really. also I'd hate to ever be out of control of my body to a stage where like I'm staggering everywhere,

I'm not sure how common it is to others but I'm in Essex and I can say confidently that over 90% of my friends drink.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 13th 2011, 12:53 AM

I don't drink alcohol mostly because its illegal for me to drink it at my age, but also because I don't like the taste. I've tasted wine, beer, cider, hard lemonade, mimosas, etc, and they all taste pretty gross to me.

Most of my friends don't drink (United States) because they are also underage.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
daisyduck Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Samantha

Points: 9,884, Level: 14 Points: 9,884, Level: 14 Points: 9,884, Level: 14

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 13th 2011, 12:56 AM

I'm in the same boat. All my friends drink. My ex used to call me at 3 am drunk.
I agree, i don't really see the point in it. Why waste the brain cells.
Although i can't drink anyway due to epilepsy and meds. I guess that gives me a reason... but still. My dad drinks in excess, so it upsets me a bit too. And i'm underage.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 13th 2011, 01:02 AM

I didn't really bother with drink til I was 18. I wanted to wait until I wanted to try it, as opposed to feeling pressured into it because all my friends did. I don't get much from drinking, I don't enjoy getting drunk, but a nice casual Southern Comfort with lemonade can be welcome. Drink if you want to - don't drink if it's a decision made for you by others.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 13th 2011, 01:02 PM

Hey there,

I think it's perfectly okay for you to not want to drink alcohol. Lots of people do drink, but you not wanting to is fine too! It shouldn't be about whether your friends drink or not, if you don't want to, don't feel pressurised into doing to too. I'm not a heavy drinker. I will have a little bit of something on occasion, but never have I been drunk, and I don't really plan in it either. Like you, I don't like the fact I wouldn't have control of my own body, and also there's much more of a chance of being embarrassed in some way. It's fine if that's not what you want and your friends do want, and it's not at all weird, so don't worry!

Take care,
Hollie.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 13th 2011, 02:10 PM

As everyone else has said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not drinking alcohol and you should feel no pressure to do so if you don't want to. I will hold my hand up and say my experiences with alcohol started much earlier than I'd care to admit, but at the same time I don't drink heavily and a couple of drinks once a week (if that) will do for me just fine. There are also the health issues with excess alcohol consumption to take into account, plus legal restrictions on what age you can drink in public, so there are a lot of things to think about before deciding whether you want to drink or not. You can have just as much fun without alcohol if you're with the right people, so if you don't want to drink then don't feel as if you have to.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Points: 11,861, Level: 15 Points: 11,861, Level: 15 Points: 11,861, Level: 15

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 13th 2011, 03:41 PM

Good on you for not drinking! I think that's awesome! I started drinking before it was legal, and while I still drink when I go out, I wish I hadn't started so young. It can be really damaging, and looking back, it really wasn't necessary. I think you've made a good decision

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

<3
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 14th 2011, 06:31 PM

I'm also from Essex (UK) . I would say in Essex there is a-lot of pressure to drink alcohol - Also most shops near me never ID. So it is pretty easy to buy. If you don't want to drink its fine. But Don't let people pressure you into drinking, Simply tell them something such as ' If you want to drink, You can. But I'm fine with my lemonade/ coke/juice . ' I do drink, but its simply down to choice.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 14th 2011, 07:55 PM

I think it's great that you don't drink alcohol. Never let peer pressure do you in.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
armonia- Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meera

Points: 8,163, Level: 13 Points: 8,163, Level: 13 Points: 8,163, Level: 13

Re: I don't drink alcohol - August 16th 2011, 06:09 AM

I do drink but very rarely. I live in a country where alcohol isn't sold and Im not exactly the most popular person so Im never invited to those "cool" parties where they have bottles of vodka and whiskey so thats why my alcohol consumption is rare.
But I dont think drinking alcohol should be a must for everyone, if you want to, you can drink but if you dont want to, you dont have to. Theres nothing wrong with it.

"And then I felt sad because I realized that once people are broken in certain ways, they can’t ever be fixed, and this is something nobody ever tells you when you are young and it never fails to surprise you as you grow older as you see the people in your life break one by one. You wonder when your turn is going to be, or if it’s already happened."
-Douglas Coupland
Closed Thread