TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Strange addiction.. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t83720-strange-addiction/)

Haruhi September 10th 2011 09:42 AM

Strange addiction..

Right, I am and have been addicted to using vaseline around my lips ever since I can remember.. I came off it for a while but then my lips got chapped and i'm hooked.

It's run out now so my lips feel really sore.. I am seriously addicted to it, when i don't use it my lips hurt... :?

NevermindMe September 10th 2011 04:55 PM

Re: Strange addiction..

I have the same issue.

Seriously, only with handcream on my hands. It's become an impulse that I do without and thinking. And if I don't do it, I get so agitated that I can't function.

I have no idea why this is, so I'll be following this thread for advice as well.

- Justin

Eternal September 10th 2011 04:59 PM

Okay I would try and replace it with some natural chapstick. The reason you are addicted to it is because your body has become dependent on it to keep you moisturized. Natural chapsticks with shea butter or beeswax don't have the harsh chemicals that can dry out your lips so it will help keep you moisturized without getting addicted.
Burts bees has some good all natural chapsticks :)

Haruhi September 10th 2011 05:48 PM

Thanks for the replies , and to know I'm not the only one ~

I'll have to have a look and find a good chapstick, cause without it roundmy lips just completely dry up and get sore.. :(

Thanks so much!

Dr.Bobby September 10th 2011 05:57 PM

This isn't really an 'addiction', you know.

You get chapped lips, and you use Vaseline to allow them to heal. Vaseline is a good thing for this, you are using it as intended and directed, with good results.

The other issue might be why you have chronic, dry lips. Often, that's caused either by exposure to really dry conditions (either hot or cold), or lip licking (evaporation!) which can be a habit that's done without awareness.

If that last bit is the case here, then you might try to be more aware of this, and just don't lick so much. That should solve the dryness issue, and therefore, your need to apply Vaseline.

blumemusik♫ September 10th 2011 07:03 PM

It might be an addiction, if the OP is dependant on it.

To the OP - like said above, try using a more natural chapstick because then you won't have to use it as often :) <3

Haruhi September 11th 2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby (Post 720903)
The other issue might be why you have chronic, dry lips. Often, that's caused either by exposure to really dry conditions (either hot or cold), or lip licking (evaporation!) which can be a habit that's done without awareness.

My lips aren't that dry, I came off it for a while and they just adjusted, it's probbaly that using vaseline has made my lips dry by taking the oils off my face.

I'mma get some chapstick from Bert's Bee's and see how that goes. :nosweat:

Thanks everyone.

Evanesco September 17th 2011 02:59 PM

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread as the OP seems happy with the replies.

To the OP: Please PM me if you have any questions about this or think it should remain open.