TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nikkkkki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,437, Level: 9 Points: 4,437, Level: 9 Points: 4,437, Level: 9

Partner came out about their sexual assault - January 5th 2022, 05:57 PM

Yesterday my partner told me that she had been assaulted in the past. I asked if she wanted to talk about it and she said we will talk today. Today i asked her about it but she just said i should forget she ever said anything and that it is to late for help anyway. I really dont know how to help. I am very scared of pushing her to hard and trying to get answers from her, but just forgetting about it doesnt feel right. Any advice would be very appreciated.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Partner came out about their sexual assault - January 9th 2022, 09:05 PM

I'm really sorry this hasn't yet received a response!

Speaking about sexual assault is very hard for a person. There are a lot of emotions surrounding it. These often being shame, anger, and embarrassment. Sexual assault can cause mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, and even Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. While your partner may want to discuss it with you, she may be having second thoughts because of what happened or because of how she feels about it. She may be one of those people that feels they just need to 'get over it' and try and move on. However, in doing so, she may just be making it worse.

She needs to be ready on her own terms to discuss what happened with you. You can continue to encourage her to talk about it, perhaps through a hand-written letter or via email rather than talking face to face. She may find it easier to tell you if it's written down rather than speak about it verbally. This is a route a lot of people often prefer to take, because the emotions behind what happened are so raw, it can cause the person to get tongue-tied and struggle to express themselves, whereas writing it down eliminates this problem.

If she isn't sure where to start, you could let her know that it's ok no matter what she writes, and to just write exactly how she feels rather than worry about the way in which she's trying to word the letter/email. She needs to be able to get it off her chest in a way that works for her.

You can encourage her to contact a rape and abuse hotline. We have a number of them here. We also have an article with an anonymous user who has been through sexual assault on more than one occasion, which you can find here. You could try and get her to read it and let her know she's not alone. There are many other users of TeenHelp who are in a similar situation or have been through sexual assault at one point or another in their lives. If she's made aware that she's not alone, and others can relate, she may be more willing to express herself and open up to you.

With all of that said, bear in mind that you can't force her to open up to you. Give her some resources to help show that you're ready to support her, but allow her to open up to you in her own time, and when she feels ready. Sexual assault is a very difficult thing for many to discuss. Until then, just continue to support her and be there for her.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: Partner came out about their sexual assault - January 11th 2022, 08:54 AM

Oh, that's really something bad.
Report it absolutely!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
charlengifford Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1

Re: Partner came out about their sexual assault - March 15th 2022, 09:11 PM

I would just recommend to wait till she will be ready to talk about it, and don't assault her with questions.
Closed Thread