TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

View Poll Results: Have you lost someone you loved due to the Statutory Rape Law?
Yes 1 7.69%
No 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nico. Offline
NERD
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nico

Points: 9,583, Level: 14 Points: 9,583, Level: 14 Points: 9,583, Level: 14

Statutory Rape LAW victims... - November 14th 2009, 10:52 PM

Is there anyone out there who was forced apart from someone they love due to someone finding out they had consensual sex with their older boyfriend/girlfriend?

When we slide together we generate sparks in our wheels and our hearts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 15,952, Level: 18 Points: 15,952, Level: 18 Points: 15,952, Level: 18

Re: Statutory Rape LAW victims... - November 14th 2009, 11:20 PM

Nope ... But then again I don't think itd be enforced really... I mean ok yeah its in place to protect people, but its more to protect people who dont want it, (sex) I believe... I think if you were going to be prosecuted, they would both have to admit they had sex, and they're not going to prosecute someone they love... Either that or the parents would need some pretty good evidence!!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hope

Points: 9,517, Level: 14 Points: 9,517, Level: 14 Points: 9,517, Level: 14

Re: Statutory Rape LAW victims... - November 15th 2009, 02:09 PM

Yes, my x boyfriend who i thought i was in love with is 19 and im 14 we had sex that i wanted. He is in jail and i actually have to go to his court tomorrow he is facing measure 11 the reason i dont feel that sorry for him is because he cheated on me with another girl, so he is facing 2 charges for sleeping with under age girls Good luck
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
nico. Offline
NERD
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nico

Points: 9,583, Level: 14 Points: 9,583, Level: 14 Points: 9,583, Level: 14

Re: Statutory Rape LAW victims... - November 17th 2009, 12:56 AM

(@tk338)
I'm not sure about that actually. In my case, I actually admitted to my parents that we've had sex. In my situation where he was four years older than me, it wasn't a good decision, I know. But at the time I needed someone to confide in and I thought I could trust my stepmother. In the end, she told my father in retaliation to my "rebellious behavior" (waking up late, sleeping late because I do my homework too late, etc.) and now I've been ripped apart from my long term (almost two years) relationship. I wish the law applied to consensual sex in serious relationships.

(@Hope)
I'm sorry that happened to you. Good luck and thank you.

When we slide together we generate sparks in our wheels and our hearts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15

Re: Statutory Rape LAW victims... - November 17th 2009, 04:29 PM

Haven't here, personally. I have a hard time using the word victim's personally, though. The law is in place to protect adolescents and children from being taken advantage of, which happens more than many like to think. I'm sure there are some loving relationships between those ages, but more often than not such relationships end up being very manipulative.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
blueraider0 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alex Maslow

Points: 11,627, Level: 15 Points: 11,627, Level: 15 Points: 11,627, Level: 15

Re: Statutory Rape LAW victims... - November 17th 2009, 04:35 PM

Statutory rape is almost never enforced without someone going to the police. So unless you're afraid the other person, or their parents, will say something, it isn't worth obeying. The law is there more so that a 13 year old can't have sex with an 18 year old who might convince her/him to have sex, because even though that is consent, it is probably coercion more than anything else. The issue of a 15 year old and a 17 year old isn't really the point, and most states have sublaws that allow people within 2 years of each other to be together without any trouble.

Just keep fighting

"If you're going through hell..... keep going."

"There comes a moment in everyone's life when you must choose between resentment and joy. To be free again, joy must mean more to you than vengeance... Forgiveness is the best revenge, because when you forgive, it sets you free."

Can we find ethical insights from Lord of the Rings? You betcha!
Check out my blog: https://lotr-ethics.blogspot.com/ Updated weekly!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 15,952, Level: 18 Points: 15,952, Level: 18 Points: 15,952, Level: 18

Re: Statutory Rape LAW victims... - November 17th 2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraider0 View Post
Statutory rape is almost never enforced without someone going to the police. So unless you're afraid the other person, or their parents, will say something, it isn't worth obeying. The law is there more so that a 13 year old can't have sex with an 18 year old who might convince her/him to have sex, because even though that is consent, it is probably coercion more than anything else. The issue of a 15 year old and a 17 year old isn't really the point, and most states have sublaws that allow people within 2 years of each other to be together without any trouble.
Thats the impression I was under Just to protect much younger people from much older... Although in the UK its set at an immovable 16... It was annoying at the tiiiime

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.
Closed Thread