TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ladoglover Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Points: 6,485, Level: 11 Points: 6,485, Level: 11 Points: 6,485, Level: 11

Mind races while sleeping - December 6th 2020, 03:11 AM

Any ones mind racing when sleeping? I know how do you know if your sleeping. Its hard to explain. Im not sure how. I just know lately my mind has been racing while im sleeping.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Mind races while sleeping - December 6th 2020, 12:56 PM

Mind racing when sleeping? Hmm, that's a difficult one. Sometimes I get strange dreams or something and I wake up and don't feel so good- perhaps as though I have been processing something while sleeping. Or I might suddenly wake up and have a flood of thoughts.

I'm not sure if my mind 'races' as such but sometimes I struggle getting to sleep because I can't stop thinking. It's just a flow of thoughts, all connected, but I just keep thinking and thinking and thinking. It does make it difficult to get to sleep. This happened last night. I try and catch myself when it happens and tell myself that there's not much point in thinking as I'm not getting anywhere and all it does is prevent me from sleeping. I either try to think of something else (especially if whatever I'm thinking about isn't particularly pleasant) or I'll try and stop thinking completely and just engage in a bit of mindfulness- focusing on the sensations of lying in bed.

Not sure what to suggest if it's happening in your sleep though as you may not have a lot of control over that. Apart from trying to de-stress before bed and develop good sleeping habits maybe. Anything that might be bothering you that might be behind this?

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Mind races while sleeping - December 6th 2020, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't say I've had my mind racing while I'm asleep, but I have felt like I'm asleep yet think of so many things at once. Suddenly a lot of time has passed. So perhaps that's the same thing. Usually that happens after a combination of a really eventful day and a lot of caffeine.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Mind races while sleeping - December 7th 2020, 01:13 PM

Occasionally I do have fully conscious thoughts when I am asleep, like about something I need to do or on something I'm excited about. For me, I think I tend to fixate on things because of my OCD and then my mind won't let it go. I also think my sleep has to be off for that to happen, as in, I'm not fully asleep but asleep enough to sort of get "stuck" in it.

May I ask what thoughts you're having when you sleep? Maybe you can try to do some things before you sleep to help with this, like coming up with a routine or writing your thoughts on paper so they aren't in your head.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread