TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Medication Issues? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t40388-medication-issues/)

JenniferxMarie March 25th 2010 03:18 PM

Medication Issues?

First of all my medication list is:
  • Sprintec (Birthcontrol
  • Metformin (Pre-Diabetes)
  • Citalopram (Anixety/Moods)
  • Seroquel (Sleep)
  • Fioricet (Muscle Relaxer) -as needed-
  • Vicodin (From surgery take for pain off and on)
Recently after starting the Citalopram I noticed that this has gotten a lot worse but, I wake up about 2:30am-4:00am and walk into the kitchen to get something to eat the first time it happened I was not on the Citalopram yet but everything else I got an English muffin, toasted it, ate it and went to bed and my mom told me the next morning I threw the bag on the floor insted of putting them in the fridge.
then....Last night, I woke up got a soda, and string cheese...for some reason I got mad took a bite of the string cheese and I remember throwing it on the floor, grabbing something else then going back to grab it.

Is this foggy/dazed feeling from the mix of my medications or some other reason?

Stacey March 25th 2010 04:18 PM

Re: Medication Issues?

I'm not a doctor or pharmacist so I'm not sure about this but I don't think it's the mix of medication as much as you experiencing a side effect of one of them. I know anxiety/muscle relaxants often have a side effect similar to what you're describing, but once again, I'm not sure. Speak to your pharmacist they will be able to tell you what's most likely causing this.

Algernon March 25th 2010 05:05 PM

Weird. Because recently I've been put on Synthroid because I have hypothyroidism. My body doesn't make enough TSH. I wake up and do the same crap you do.

But all that medicine, It reminds me of my mom. Do you really need all of those, like the sleeping medicine? When you take sleep medicine for a long time and get off, It makes it harder to sleep and can induce other disorders. Learned that in psychology from a knowledgable source.

Prozac March 25th 2010 05:14 PM

Hey there Jenn,

I agree that it might rather be a side effect of some of your medication rather than the fact that you're having a combination of them - your doctor/psychiatrist should've checked for combination effects. As you say that you started experiencing this after starting to take Citalopram, it may be a side effect from that medication that's contributing to these behaviours. It may be a good idea to talk to your doctor or psychiatrist about what is happening.

Take care.

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! March 26th 2010 10:59 PM

Looking at the list, you've got several medications that can and usually do knock you out to some degree: citalopram, seroquel and fioricet (due to the barbituate properties from one of its ingredients). Citalopram and seroquel can both function as controlling mood and anxiety, and seroquel is also useful as an anti-psychotic but both knock you out, especially seroquel. Fioricet has a barbituate as one of its ingredients (although has a bit of caffeine in it also presumably to counteract some of the barbituates), it may do some tiredness although probably not as much, especially since you take it only as needed.

Fioricet also has some pain-killing properties although nowhere near as potent as vicodin.

I'd ask your doctor if you really need citalopram especially if you're experiencing tiredness without it.