TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19

Question Panic Attacks and Medication - March 2nd 2009, 10:05 PM

I've been having panic attacks for years now...they're nothing new to me. However, I've had two or three over just these past few days, which is abnormal for me--especially since the triggers for them were tiny, things that usually wouldn't upset me.

The first one happened on Friday, during school. I was in line to get a drink from the vending machine between classes, and the jerks in front of me were taking a REALLY long time. The bell rang, and I had to sprint to my next class without my drink. Now, my teacher for that class is very kind and understanding, and almost always turns a blind eye to tardies (unless you're very very late). So nothing to worry about, right?

Apparently, I didn't think so. I was hypervenilating, sweating, shivering, the whole deal. It was rediculous. I couldn't seem to shake it for nearly an hour--I had to go sit in the hall, away from the chatter just so I could study. =P I absolutely could not regain my focus.

Then today, I was at the mall with Scott. We were running short on time, so I told him to go ahead of me to our next destination while I bought my things from the current store. Again, I was in line and it began to take quite a while...and, again, the sweating, shivering, and heavy breathing started up. My voice trembled when I tried to speak with the store clerk about the purchase. Then, once I got out of there, I couldn't find Scott. So I ended up very very upset, and it didn't entirely go away until I had found him and sat down for a few minutes.

Sorry, I know this is long...now to my actual question. I was taking Lexapro for anxiety/depression, but it didn't seem to work very well. On Thursday, my psychiatrist had me stop taking the Lexapro and switch to Prozac. Is it possible that the increase in these episodes could be a temporary affect of stoping the Lexapro? I am aware that only my doctor can tell me for sure, I'd just like to know if this is common or if anyone has any relative experiences.

Thanks. <3

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Panic Attacks and Medication - March 2nd 2009, 10:38 PM

Prozac? That is just another anti depressant. I am in no a medical professional, so I am not sure exactly why you are taking the medication that you are. But Benzodiaphines are anti-anxiety medications, a popular one would be Xanax. These medications would be geared directly against your panic attacks. But again, I am not sure what would be best for you, only your doctor could tell you that. And I am not sure if they give Xanax to children (minors). I know Lexapro is a popular drug given to teens, but I am not sure if it would help you best in this situation.
Either way, definitely bring up the fact that your panic attacks are increasing and that you feel the medication is not helpful. No reason to be on a medication that is not helping you.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ChloeBean Offline
Average Joe

Name: Chloe

Points: 11,285, Level: 15 Points: 11,285, Level: 15 Points: 11,285, Level: 15

Re: Panic Attacks and Medication - March 8th 2009, 11:22 PM

Lizzie is right about the Xanax. I take that whenever I feel unstable. It really helps with the panic attacks and begins working within five minutes. Then again, I'm no doctor. Maybe ask your doctor about it? Just a suggestion.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 11,565, Level: 15 Points: 11,565, Level: 15 Points: 11,565, Level: 15

Re: Panic Attacks and Medication - March 8th 2009, 11:30 PM

Maybe explain to your doctor what's been happening since your medication has been changed. The increase in panic attacks and all. Ask if maybe you could be put on a medicine that helps more with anxiety, because it seems like you may need one. Xanax may be a good one. I know a friend who was on it so I'm pretty sure they can prescribe it to minors. Most medicines really aren't to be prescribed to minors but are because the doctors think it could help them.
Good luck.
~Em

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26

Re: Panic Attacks and Medication - March 9th 2009, 04:31 PM

If you have not had many panic attacks whilst on Lexapro, then it could be possible that it's related, however, by my knowledge the lexapro is an antidepressant and therefore it should still be in your system as it has quite a long half life compared to other drugs (though I can not be sure of this). However, I don't know how long the half life of lexapro is, so it could be wearing off now. If you're becoming very worried about this then you may consider making another appointment with your doctor though you must remember it will take time for prozac to work. I know that when I had panic attacks, I got prescribed BETA blockers, is there any medication you take specifically for your anxiety? I think i'd be more concerned about that medication if you take it.

Stephanie
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Panic Attacks and Medication - March 10th 2009, 01:48 AM

A relative of mine was taking Lexapro for anxiety but had to stop as it was giving her horrible migraines, once she stopped the Lexapro she found that the following week she had an increase in her anxiety, only a few panic attacks but she said that she felt overwhelmingly anxious and stayed off of work a few days that week to avoid any attacks. So, it is quite possibly from coming of Lexapro but you should talk to your doctor just to make sure.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
Closed Thread