TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
13reasonswhy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Cassidy

Points: 9,092, Level: 13 Points: 9,092, Level: 13 Points: 9,092, Level: 13

Would this be considered an eating disorder? - May 20th 2012, 08:10 PM

I'm 14 years old, and 5 ft 2 in. I don't think I can put my weight on here, but I know I'm overweight. (based on online sources and doctors) by about [EDITED]. I've been trying to get at a normal weight. I used to be anorexic and bulimic, and when I started to eat again I gained it all back. Now I'm overweight, and wanting to lose it. I cut myself if I don't lose [EDITED] a week. I've been eating a little less (I still eat, just not as much) All things considered, would this count as an eating disorder? Is it leading up to one?

Last edited by Just Peachy.; November 13th 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight numbers in the forums, it is against Code of Conduct. :]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Points: 11,340, Level: 15 Points: 11,340, Level: 15 Points: 11,340, Level: 15

Re: Would this be considered an eating disorder? - May 20th 2012, 11:49 PM

Hey!
I'm sorry you are struggling so much, and this sounds really hard for you.

As we are not doctors we cannot tell you if you have an ED for sure, but your eating patterns doing sound healthy, and I would talk to someone about it.
You say you are hurting yourself if you dont loose weight, and I don't think that's the way to go.

If you want to know for sure if you are at an unhealthy weight, I would suggest talking to your doctor. Maybe you could talk to a dietician and they could put you on a healthy meal plan to get to a healthy weight, but starving yourself won't help you in the long run, even though it may feel like it.

It's GREAT that you are reaching out to us, and we are always here... but I really think you should talk to a professional about all of this and how you are hurting yourself.
I know you are strong, and you can do this the healthy way.

I wish you the best of luck. Message me anytime.

Shelby

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Points: 12,459, Level: 16 Points: 12,459, Level: 16 Points: 12,459, Level: 16

Re: Would this be considered an eating disorder? - May 21st 2012, 10:25 PM

I'd have to agree with Shelby. The only way to really know would be to go see a Doctor. I'm really sorry your struggling with this.. I have in the past too. Being overweight, with an ED. A lot of people assume eating disorders are only with people who are underweight, which isn't true.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk about this more.. But again, definatley consider seeing a doctor.. There is a healthy way to lose weight (unless you have a different undiagnosed medical problem like Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism, or PCOS or something that makes it hard..) that doesn't involve eating less than what your body needs.

You can do anything you set your mind to, and I hope you realize that and find the strength you need to get through this. Because you can. Everything will be alright. I promise. (:

-Ashley.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.
Closed Thread