TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Recovery Stories Recovery can be a long and difficult path, and we may forget to rejoice in our accomplishments. Share your recovery stories here, from self harm, to drug, or alcohol addictions, and anything else you are proud of.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Raven
Pronouns: They/Them

Points: 28,132, Level: 24 Points: 28,132, Level: 24 Points: 28,132, Level: 24

Recovery - January 9th 2016, 07:23 AM

I couldn't think of a good enough title so that's it

Anyway back to the point of this thread,
Lately I have come to realise that I have not actually been doing that bad. I was looking back at my old threads from like May and June last year, even though what I posted then had been going on for a lot longer than that, and really I still cry just from reading the responses, seriously I was so annoying back then (PS I want to apologise especially to Jessie and Ellie for how annoying I was yet they still were there telling me how great I was, that means a lot even now) but I have realised that I don't have those thoughts anymore. I mean, I know I'm still going to go through the motions but I don't want to die most of time anymore, and I have been learning how to manage everything better like the self harm.

I think part of this is just because I have had a better team around me helping like my psychologist and friends and stuff, but most of it is from being on here and just your continuous support and kindness no matter what.

I have this wristband that I wear that I basically have been wearing for several years, and it basically signifies the beginning of when I first started self harming and being suicidal. Even though I haven't been clean for that long, I have had less and less urges to do it anyway and the distances between wanting to have been further and further away, it got to every few weeks instead of every day. Anyway, because of what the wristband is for, I was thinking of when I see my psychologist again (She has gone on holiday for the Christmas break and is coming back next week or something) we could cut the wristband in half. It was like 2 dollars so its not that much of a loss anyway, but it basically cuts the knot binding me and my past. I feel like I'm rambling. The wristband thing is just my little thing though. I told like 2 people that when the wristband comes off, that it means that everything is ok again.

Whenever I need a reminder of how much I am worth, I just go back and read my past threads when I really was lost and completely desperate, and just going through the responses helps a lot, especially when I am struggling. I know I am not going to be fine all the time, I will go up and down, but I also know that I will never let myself go back down that low again, and that now I know where I can get support if I need it.

So overall, thank you guys so much, for responding to my desperate cries of help, my boy problems, when I got annoyed at my parents, and basically just when I had any questions or wanted support. It means a lot. ❤

Also, I feel like this is a really weird post but it is my recovery post and me going back to before the depression hit in but a lot stronger and wiser.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,498, Level: 59 Points: 172,498, Level: 59 Points: 172,498, Level: 59

Re: Recovery - January 9th 2016, 08:22 AM

I am so glad that you came to this realization! You are doing so amazing, I can tell just by seeing some of your posts on here (speaking of, we need to talk more). It is always wonderful to have support around your side and it is so wonderful that you've had fewer urges. I think that cutting the wristband in half is a great idea and the symbolism behind it is so amazing! You really are worth it, you are worth recovery and you are worth happiness. Everyone has their ups and downs, but knowing that you can get through them is the important part.

You've got this! <3

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Recovery - January 9th 2016, 09:39 AM

Thank you so much Dez, that means a lot. We definitely need to talk more

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Recovery - January 9th 2016, 10:28 AM

I know the feeling of looking at past threads, and feeling like you were annoying, but also realising how far you have come since then I can assure you though, that you weren't annoying and you deserved help- which I am so glad you got! I also really admire the wristband idea! It's normal to have ups and downs, but you sound like you've grown stronger and will be able to deal with the downs better.

Hope things continue to improve for you. Take care

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Recovery - January 18th 2016, 03:31 AM

Update: I cut the wristband before I saw my psychologist anyway, I just really wanted it gone.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Recovery - January 18th 2016, 05:34 AM

Hi!

Thank you for sharing such an inspirational story. I was happy to read this thread.

First off, you weren't annoying at all. I was glad you were posting threads rather than battling everything alone. Everyone needs support and kindness, and you can always find that here. So never worry about being annoying, okay? We are so happy to have you here. I see your posts, and you help a lot of others as well.

Overall, I'm proud of you for how far you have come. You're such a strong person, and I hope that when you aren't feeling so strong, that you know we are here for you. And hey, friend? Message me anytime, and never give up. You do matter even at times when you do not feel like you do.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Recovery - January 19th 2016, 06:56 AM

Thank you Ellie! That meant a lot.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Recovery - January 21st 2016, 12:47 PM

Congratulations, especially on the wristband thing, that sounds like it was a really big thing for you. I'm glad things are going well, and good luck for your continued recovery, you can do this!

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
Closed Thread