TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Eating disorder article - September 15th 2018, 11:10 PM

I know there has been articles about eating disorders before, but I was kind of thinking about doing one about how you do not just choose to have an ED and then there is genetic and environment factors...Not just you thinking Oh I want an ed then you develop one.

I just replied to a post, plus I've seen them in the past where people are saying they have a chose to choose an eating disorder when they just want to lose weight.

Do you guys think this is a good idea to write about? If so could I get some ideas on what to include. Since I'm not sure how to go about writing it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Eating disorder article - September 15th 2018, 11:46 PM

This is great! Since you mentioned different genetic and environmental factors as well you could potentially do an article on the causes of eating disorders with emphasis on the fact that you don’t just choose to have one.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Eating disorder article - September 16th 2018, 12:10 AM

That sounds good. I will also try to have it sound more like me...Since I know last time I had trouble with that.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Eating disorder article - September 16th 2018, 11:42 AM

If you need help with that or anything else, let me know. I will keep an eye out to see what you come up with!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Eating disorder article - September 17th 2018, 08:46 PM

Not a choice, but a disorder (Frankie: Let me know if you think this is a good title or maybe you can suggest some Ideas)
By: Frankie (Aca-Awkward)

Eating disorders are very complex. I know some people think that you can choose to have an eating disorder, but it is NOT a choice. There is a lot of risk factors for all types of eating disorders like biological, psychological, and social cultural. In this article I am going to be discussing each of these risk factors that can be applicable(Frankie: I think I would like to use a different word here, but because I am not sure what exactly this word means I can’t find a word to replace it) for the people who have anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, or OSFED(Frankie: Should I put what this stands for?). I would also like to point out two people can have the same disorder but have different perspectives, experiences, and symptoms.

(Frankie: I am only going to be doing a section at a time and posting the source that way you guys can take a look at each section and see if I need to make it more of my own words. Since last time I got so overwhelmed and gave up on my other artile)
Source: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/risk-factors I would also like to say this is the first source I’ve looked at but I am pretty sure that this will be correct since it is NEDA and they are a legit site for information.

Last edited by DeletedAccount63; September 17th 2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Edited out somethings and added something.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Eating disorder article - September 17th 2018, 09:37 PM

This is a great idea Frankie! You should also include that you can have a Binge Eating Disorder.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Eating disorder article - September 17th 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
This is a great idea Frankie! You should also include that you can have a Binge Eating Disorder.
That's in the introduction I posted to get edited, its above your post.

Edit: I just saw what you mean and edited that.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Eating disorder article - September 18th 2018, 03:49 AM

Also for the abbreviation (OSFED) I would definitely put what it stands for

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Eating disorder article - September 18th 2018, 07:35 PM

I think doing it one section at a time is an awesome idea.

I like your title a lot. I was thinking I can do some edits at this time but suggest more once your sections are together.

I was thinking you could add the environment someone is in as a risk factor/link. You could also say that you're going to be discussing the risk factors that "can be found in people with..." instead of using the word "applicable." I too, would definitely put what OSFED means and maybe say that it was formerly known (I think?) as EDNOS?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Eating disorder article - September 18th 2018, 08:27 PM

What do you mean by environment? i looked at the link I am using and it doesn't say anything about that. but once I know more about what you are thinking I can probably add that in the article. sorry I have to many questions.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Eating disorder article - September 18th 2018, 08:35 PM

Don't be sorry, ask away! By environment I mean what someone's life surroundings are like. As in, what they go through on a daily basis with other conditions, family dynamics, abuse, or anything like that. That could be not necessarily a risk factor but it could contribute to the development of an ed.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Eating disorder article - November 18th 2018, 09:58 PM

Not a choice, but a disorder
By: Frankie (Oh, Bother)
Eating disorders are very complex. I know some people think that you can choose to have an eating disorder, but it is NOT a choice. There is a lot of risk factors for all types of eating disorders like biological, psychological, social cultural, and environmental. In this article I am going to be discussing each of these risk factors that can be found in people who have anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder (BED), or other specified feeding or eating disorder (OSFED). I would also like to point out two people can have the same disorder but have different perspectives, experiences, and symptoms.

I am working on other sections of this right now just want to put this up to see if I need any edits so far.
Risk Factors:

Biology:
  • Studies have found that if you have a close relative like a parent or sibling with an eating disorder it increases your chance of developing one as well.
  • · Mental health issues like anxiety, depression, and addiction can also run in families and can increase your chance of developing an eating disorder. Methods of controlling your weight is connected with the development of BED. When your burning off more calories then you have consumed it leads to a state of negative (Frankie: would the word weak or opposing work here to replace the word negative?) energy balance. It is shown that a lot of people’s disorders started out with conscious efforts of dieting or restricting amounts and what foods they were eating, growth spurts, illnesses and intense athletic training can be causes as well.
  • · According to recent research studies approximately one quarter of woman who have type one diabetes will develop an eating disorder. The most common pattern among these people is skipping insulin injections known as diabulimia, which can be deadly (Frankie: Honestly, I am not sure if I want to include this, because if I include this, I feel like I would have to go into detail on what exactly this eating disorder is, since most people probably haven’t heard of it)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Eating disorder article - November 19th 2018, 12:01 AM

You could leave the portion about diabulimia and just say 'The most common among these people is skipping insulin injections known as diabulimia'. It's giving a brief overview of diabulimia without having to get into the more complex things that come along with it.

For example, I once had someone with diabulimia explain they skip their insulin. They went into detail as to how it works but that was not necessary for me to understand what it was.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Eating disorder article - November 19th 2018, 01:07 AM

Okay, I'll probably leave that section then. I will probably have the next section done tomorrow.
Closed Thread