TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

When is Anorexia over? - April 14th 2010, 10:36 AM

When can I stop saying I have anorexia? Is it when the doctors "diagnose me" as recovered? Is it when I get to a certain weight? When my periods come back? Or is it when I am back to a 'normal' state mentally. I would say that now I was in recovery, because I am trying to gain weight, I am enjoying food again and doing really well.
Do the doctors ever tell people they are no longer anorexic? I understand that it may be different for everyone, but I have already been told a weight which would put me in a safe zone and not require weekly blood tests, would that be the right weight where I would not be classed as anorexic?

Sorry for all the questions - but I thought about this and really want to know!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: When is Anorexia over? - April 14th 2010, 07:11 PM

Hey Emma,

This is a really good question! I think that to a large extent all of these terms are individual. Like you said, medically there is a weight at which you need to get to. By diagnostic terms, once you are in that healthy range, have your periods back, and don't have an intense fear of gaining weight anymore, you won't technically be classified as having anorexia.

But, it's individual! You might stop considering yourself as having anorexia once you get into a healthy range even if your periods haven't returned yet.

Same with the term "recovery". Some people consider recovery to begin right when they decide to get better, even if their symptoms are still pretty intense. Others might not consider themselves in recovery until they are medically in a better place. It's all individual.

Sorry if that doesn't help--but it's kind of nice, because you can decide how you fit into those labels and how you want to apply them to yourself!

<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: When is Anorexia over? - April 14th 2010, 10:03 PM

Okay, thanks! That made good sense to me!!! Thanks for that!!!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: When is Anorexia over? - April 14th 2010, 10:47 PM

You're welcome seems like that's clarified for you so I'm going to close this. But, if you want it re-opened at any point, just send me a PM!

<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Closed Thread