TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NyanNyan Offline
Not a n00b

Name: NyanNyan

Points: 9,556, Level: 14 Points: 9,556, Level: 14 Points: 9,556, Level: 14

What are the symptoms of anorexia? - August 3rd 2011, 01:36 AM

Just wondering. I'm anorexic, but only recently and I haven't really researched much. I have to pee a lot and I used to be able to hold it.

^-----^
(=• . •=)
Any anime lovers feel free to PM me!
"What's wrong with you?"
"Want me to make a list? *smiles*"
"Ummmm...no thanks I think I know"
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: What are the symptoms of anorexia? - August 3rd 2011, 02:04 AM

I don't think there are really "symptoms" I mean ED's effect everyone differently, it all depends on the ED and what you do but for something like anorexia what is almost always present is extreme weight loss and hate of body image. But other than that there are no specific "symptoms" to anorexia as a whole, as I said before, it depends on how the ED is as well as the person themselves.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: What are the symptoms of anorexia? - August 3rd 2011, 02:13 AM

Like Cheye said, EDs effect everyone differently depending on your body and level of ED. Besides, not only am I sure if posting symptoms here are aloud, but I'm hesitant on it anyway. Self diagnosing is way more common than you think, it doesn't always happen consciously. A lot of times, people research some sort of illness or disease, see some symptoms that (a lot of times are quite common) and suddenly think they have the disease or illness. Then, worst comes to worst, and they'll believe it so much they might actually GET the disorder, especially if it's something like an ED. Or, even if it's some sort of disease, their mind will become so consumed around this illness they don't even have, that the brain will actually come up with symptoms they didn't previously have... Make any sense?

That's why I almost never give out symptoms, and if anyone's asking me if they're sick, I have them tell ME what's wrong, not the other way around

Honestly, if you're anorexic, you probably shouldn't be worrying about symptoms you don't even have anyway, and should instead spend your time focusing on the ED and working on solving and/or it's underlying issues.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: What are the symptoms of anorexia? - August 3rd 2011, 05:06 AM

If you believe you have an eating disorder, I would go to your doctor for a diagnosis. Because we are not professionals, we cannot diagnose you with anything, even if we have a list of symptoms.
Stay safe, I hope everything gets better!

something burning?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: What are the symptoms of anorexia? - August 3rd 2011, 05:16 AM

There are physical consequences to anorexia and if the disorder progresses long enough, it can have irreversible effects. There is an article on eating disorders on our own site located right here, although it doesn't go in-depth. You can find lots of information on eating disorders online, such as on (edited). Some symptoms include loss of menstrual cycles, hair loss, developing lanugo, feeling cold constantly, etc. If you believe you have an eating disorder you should be talking to your doctor. It's not unheard of for eating disordered people to lose control of their bowels. You should try and minimize the damage you are doing to your body by taking this first step and trying to get help.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

Last edited by Just Peachy.; August 3rd 2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: competitor of teen help
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: What are the symptoms of anorexia? - August 3rd 2011, 07:43 PM

As others have said, if you feel you have an eating disorder, then the besg thing for you to do is go to the doctor. I would suggest doing some research on google, as that will give you a list of generic symptoms that might help you to understand more. With that, I also advise against self diagnosis. Eating disorders are serious, and should not be taken lightly.

At the risk of this thread becoming like a "broken-record" (as in repetetive), I'm going to close the thread for now.
However, I'm not opposed to re opening it if the OP would really like me to. I just feel that you (the op) would get better results through going to a doctor and doing some research on google.

Any opposed, feel free to shoot me a private message,

Closed Thread