TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17

Doctor's Appointment. - June 22nd 2013, 01:43 AM

So I have a doctor's appointment next week, and basically it's the first doctor that I have, that my parents haven't been apart (payment wise, taking me, asking me about my appointments, etc.) so I feel like I can be more truthful.

So should I tell him all of my symptoms?
Like the doctor back home thinks I have anxiety, I think it's something else, so should I just write all the symptoms of what I'm feeling down for him.

Should I bring up the depression or the fact that my "counselor" thinks that I have borderline personality disorder?

My friend wanted me to tell him that I self-harm, because the doctor would probably know somebody that the could help is that a good or bad idea??

Also, I stopped taking my anti-depressant, and my medical records that he wanted faxed down state that I'm supposed to be taking them. What should I do about this... I shouldn't have lied...but yeah.

Also, he can't hospitalize me for cutting, can he?

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17

Re: Doctor's Appointment. - June 22nd 2013, 04:50 AM

You should definitely be honest with your doctor. He needs to know the whole picture so he can help you as well as possible. I would suggest telling him your symptoms (including the self harm) first, then telling him your and your counselor's theories. That way he can see the information without any preconceptions and probably diagnose/treat you more accurately. He needs to know that you aren't taking your antidepressant, because that will be an important factor in how he goes about treating you.

Finally, as far as I know, it's rare for someone to get hospitalized for self harm alone. Unless you are self harming to a point where your life is in danger, they most likely won't hospitalize you. Psych wards are generally really full, so they choose to admit people who are in the most danger (like being a suicide risk, very extreme self harm, etc.).
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Doctor's Appointment. - June 22nd 2013, 05:52 PM

Hey Sammie, hospitalization is an absolute last resort so the only reason you would go would for self-harm would be if it were done as a suicide attempt or if the injuries were severe enough to result in death, intended or not. You should absolutely be honest with him about everything, he can't help you the way you need if you leave things out that will affect treatment. In a perfect world he would ask for consent to speak with your counselor directly or vise versa. If he does ask, I strongly suggest allowing that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Doctor's Appointment. - June 22nd 2013, 06:00 PM

Hi there.

It sounds like you're going through a tough time and I'm sorry to hear that. It's really brilliant that you're trying to get help thought and that you're wanting to see your doctor and that you're coming here for some support and advice too so that's something to be really proud of yourself for.

I think you should just be honest with you doctor. That way they can support you the best possible way they can and they can also put in place other support if they and you feel that that would be beneficial for yourself. Doctors have a lot of resources and have seen a lot of people and therefore have a lot of experience. They do this job because they care and want to help people like yourself, okay? The more you tell them, the more they can help.

I was once hospitalised for five months because of self harm, but it was severe. I was in hospital every day getting stitches for several weeks. Hospital is a last resort. I don't think that your doctor will take that action. But that's nothing to worry about now. Focus on this appointment in a positive way of getting help, okay?

Stay fighting, you can beat this and you deserve support so don't ever be afraid to reach out.
Jessie.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17

Re: Doctor's Appointment. - June 22nd 2013, 09:44 PM

Another question I have is, my anxiety was so bad today that I missed worked (I called in) but I'm new, so they want a doctor's excuse, or they're going to write me up, and they could easily fire me for it. Would my doctor write me a note explaining why I missed, even though I didn't call him about it, it's the weekend, and I can't get in until my appointment on Tuesday....

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17

Re: Doctor's Appointment. - June 23rd 2013, 08:04 PM

I think your doctor would most likely write you a note. You should definitely ask him, because mental illness is just as legitimate a reason to miss work as physical illness.
Closed Thread