TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 4,811, Level: 10 Points: 4,811, Level: 10 Points: 4,811, Level: 10

How do I tell my doctor? - March 24th 2018, 12:25 PM

Hi,
Basically I've got an appintemt at the doctors in two weeks, I think I'll be going alone which is why I was considering telling my doctor about my mental state. I'm still not 100% sure I will tell my doctor, but this I probsbly the golden chance I dont think I'll be able to get an appointment again for a long time after that. I was really scared about telling her, I've never spoken about my suicidal thoughts etc to anyone irl. I'm scared of it just getting out there and me having no control over it. What if someone finds out? Also, what if she thinks my state is too bad and I'll need to be referred to the hospital? I can't do anything. I only want some medication to get rid of these thoughts for the time being. Basically what im asking you is, how do i tell my doctor i think im depressed in like 10 mins? Also, i hardly know this doctor, but shes nice and that's the only reason I chose her. Another anxiety I have is if she does give me antidepressants or something, I'd need to collect them from my pharmacy and the pharmacists have known my family for 10 years, we've been going to the same pharmacy for 10 years so what if they say something to my parents and what if they judge me? I guess I'm just asking for advice on how to get help, making the least amount of mess possible.
Thanks

Keep calm and carry on.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How do I tell my doctor? - March 24th 2018, 02:12 PM

It can be hard to confide in someone about your feelings but the more you do it, the easier it gets. Do you think you'd have trouble verbalizing your feelings to your doctor? If so, perhaps you can write a note to her and allow her to read it.

How old are you? If you are eighteen and older nothing should be said to your parents. if you are under eighteen, nothing should be said to your parents unless you are a danger to yourself (e.g. have a suicide plan).

Best of luck with your doctor's appointment and feel free to let us know how it goes.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9

Re: How do I tell my doctor? - March 25th 2018, 01:58 PM

Ten minutes is hardly long enough to tell your doctor about your emotional state, but writing a short list of the most important issues will save time and keep your doctor concentrating on how best to help you.

I feel it's very important you tell your doctor of having suicidal feelings. Their responsibility is to ensure your safety, but don't be alarmed or shy to tell them because doctors are very well trained to help their patient in the most gentlest of ways.

If however, you are dissatisfied with your doctor, then getting a second opinion seeing another doctor) is worth considering.

Do let us know how you get on.

Belle
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: How do I tell my doctor? - March 25th 2018, 06:46 PM

Deciding to confide in someone about your mental state is a very brave thing to do. You should be incredibly proud of yourself for making the decision to do so.

In the US, doctors are only able to send you to the hospital for suicidal ideation if you have a detailed plan and the intent and means to carry out said plan. Merely telling your doctor that you have suicidal feelings isn't enough for them to refer you to a hospital for treatment. Also, if you are over the age of 18, doctors and pharmacists are not allowed to discuss any medical treatment or things talked about in appointments with anyone without your permission. If you are under 18, you can always ask your doctor ahead of time if they will be sharing the details of your appointment with your parents and go from there.

Since 10 minutes isn't a long time, perhaps you can think about your symptoms ahead of time and decide which ones are the most pressing/have the most negative impact on your life. Those are the ones that you should talk to your doctor about first. As Cassie suggested, you can always write your feelings down if you think you might have trouble saying them out loud.

Since it sounds like you have an idea of the course of treatment you would like to pursue, you can also bring that up to her. While she might decide that other avenues will be more beneficial to you, letting her know what you are looking for in mental health treatment will help her provide you with the best referrals for any follow-up appointments that you may need.

Best of luck reaching out!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: How do I tell my doctor? - March 26th 2018, 01:31 AM

Been there, done that. I was scared to death, so I ended up just blurting it out to get it over with. Not the way I would've preferred to do it, but it got the job done. You probably won't end up in the hospital unless you are an imminent danger to yourself (so if you aren't safe to go home), and pharmacists are professionals, if you're under 18, they technically could tell your parents, but they shouldn't, if you're over 18, then neither the doctor or pharmacist can tell anyone anything without your permission. Judgement comes with the territory sometimes when it comes to mental illness, but again, these are professionals who should be able to keep their opinions to themselves. Don't let that fear keep you from getting the help you know you need.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread