TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Migraines post-concussion - January 3rd 2021, 08:25 PM

I sustained a concussion a couple of weeks ago. Immediately after the concussion I experienced severe head pain for a couple of days, but it subsided until last Sunday, and then I started experiencing migraines daily. I had issues with migraines last year, and the doctor I saw about the concussion explained that being already prone to migraines increases your likelihood of experiencing them after a head injury. So, lucky me.

Originally the doctor prescribed Imitrex (Sumatriptan). I don't like how flushed it makes me feel after taking it but it does work- for a few hours. Then the migraine is right back, full force. I informed him of this on Friday and he prescribed Floricet (Butalbital/Acetaminophen/Caffeine). In the last 24 hours is the first time I have taken both. The headache is maybe a little better but I am still experiencing pain.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it unreasonable to expect no pain after taking these medications? Is there something I can do to make it easier on myself? Post-concussive syndrome can last for weeks or months, up to even a little over a year, in the most severe cases. I am hoping that's not the case for me; I really don't want to experience daily migraines for a prolonged period of time. They're quite debilitating. So does anyone have any suggestions?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Migraines post-concussion - January 4th 2021, 06:03 PM

Ugh, migraines are miserable. I haven’t had a head injury but I have had migraines!

Honestly the pain thing depends on the person. It may take a while to adjust to a new medication or that medication might not be right for you. There’s a ton of trial and error with migraine meds. Honestly it reminds me a lot of mental health meds where sometimes you have to play around. For example, I was prescribed Topamax for mine and not only did I still have a migraine, but I was asleep for 17 hours on some days. Needless to say that didn’t work! But for others that medication is a godsend.

I’d also watch for rebound headaches. Did your doctor tell you how many days in a row you’re able to take an abortive and/or an over the counter painkiller? Taking them too often can cause rebound headaches where you get headaches from taking the medication too much. I’d ask your doctor.

Some people find heat to help. One of my friends said to take a super hot shower. For me, heat is a no go with migraines so I have an ice pack hat that covers my neck and forehead. Before I got that I just had an ice pack on my neck.

I also honestly have to rest a lot. I get angry and moody with mine so sleep is good so I don’t blow up on anyone LOL.

There are migraine support groups on FB if you’re interested. There’s people with all types of severities and causes so maybe you’ll get a ton of suggestions!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread