TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Tonsillectomy as an adult - August 21st 2021, 01:16 AM

I found out today that I need to have my tonsils and adenoids out. I hear that this is a brutal experience for an adult. Anyone have anything they'd like to tell me?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Tonsillectomy as an adult - August 23rd 2021, 10:12 PM

OMG YES. I literally just did this. I only had my tonsils out though - they left my adenoids in there. I *think* (and read) it's more difficult because children are growing still and they have less scar tissue on their tonsils than adults do - because we've had more sore throats and are grown. I think adult tonsils kind of have to be 'dug out' more than a child's do.

I think it varies from person to person and I don't want to scare you but it did feel pretty severe to me. I couldn't talk for the first few days. I think I am going to put what I learned in bullet points:
  • Get a cold air humidifier and put it on your nightstand or very close by. I am so glad I did this, because it allowed me to sleep. It can be hard to sleep after you have your tonsils out because your mouth dries which irritates the scabbing. Keeping this on kept my mouth from becoming too try. Otherwise you will be getting up every ten minutes or so to drink some water.
  • Don't drink any carbonated beverages. The bubbles burn the back of your mouth. I tried that with ginger ale because I really wanted some but it wasn't worth it. Try ice cold water (you may end up wanting room temperature/colder as you heal)and some juices are good. I found aloe juice (without the pulp) helpful too. Similarly stay away from anything acidic, like oranges or tomato sauce.
  • Get some food in that you will be able to eat. I only had soft popsicles the first week or so. I wanted other soft foods but do know if they are too sticky (like mac n cheese) they can get caught and will be hard to get down. Puddings and jellos are good. Also I had some warm food that i could 'mash' like peach cobbler. Some people go with ice cream but I found it to make my throat feel weird. I think I was allowed to eat what I wanted within reason as long as I was feeling up to it but I was liquid and soft for a while. It took me about 3-4 weeks to eat whatever I wanted to.
  • Keep a pitcher of water at your nightstand so it's all ready for you without having to get up.
  • Order ice packs - you can get ones that go over your face/neck for wisdom teeth or tonsillectomies. You can swap out the ice packs every so often.
  • Don't talk if you don't feel like you can. I think it took me 5-7 days to start talking. Before that I whispered or texted people.
  • You might want to get some stool softeners if you're sensitive to pain medication. A lot of people have issues with that.
  • Take your medications a little early before the pain kicks in. A half hour or so early isn't too bad. I would also put an alarm on your phone to take your medication so you don't wake up in pain.
  • Your face/neck might swell a little and my ears were bothering me but both are normal.
  • Before your procedure, have a nice meal - something you really like - because you probably won't be able to eat solids or anything crunchy for a little while.

If I think of anything else I will come back. Best of luck though! Feel free to message me on Discord after you get them out (or at any other time)!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Tonsillectomy as an adult - August 24th 2021, 03:37 PM

I don't have any advice as I got my tonsils removed as a kid; but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Tonsillectomy as an adult - October 9th 2022, 06:53 PM

Some good resources I have found for it

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/adult-tonsillectomy
https://www.entlubbock.com/blog/adult-tonsillectomy/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK564983/

I personally never have gotten mine removed at all. I for sure think it'd be up to whatever your doctor or so thinks.
Closed Thread