TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Drinking in lockdown - January 20th 2021, 05:59 PM

Hi

Before you say go and see someone to see if I have a drinking problem I can confirm that I do not.

My question:

I have been drinking a lot since last March I am often working from home due to Covid or just not working at all. I drink because I’ve always enjoyed beer but I never drank it much because I’m always busy now I have so much spare time on my hands and I typically drink 1 to 9 bottles of beer a night just to relax and put Netflix on.

Now I’m getting really stressed in case I’ve damaged my liver I feel fine but I have never drank this badly before and I’m a little worried
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Drinking in lockdown - January 20th 2021, 06:12 PM

It takes a lot longer than ten months and a lot more than nine cans of beer a day to damage your liver. I'd say it'd probably take three to five years before you begin to feel any symptoms and, depending on what you do about it at that point, that will define how much longer you have before your liver begins to fail.

I know the shut down has been rough on a lot of people. We're finding ourselves at home a lot more than usual, we're bored out of our minds, so we resort to two things: food and booze. I think it's important, though, to find distractions from those two things, which has the potential to turn dangerous.

Is there anything you like doing? Are you artistic? Do you like expressing yourself? Do you like creating podcasts? Think of the things you can do and the ways you are able to keep yourself busy so your mind doesn't turn to alcohol.

DISCLAIMER: The three-to-five year range is based on my own personal experience with alcohol. It's different for everyone!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Re: Drinking in lockdown - March 6th 2021, 10:24 PM

I had an alcoholic father, but he'd been drinking for many years, so I doubt the few beers you've had while watching Netflix is bad. I doubt very much you'll get liver cancer from such a short time drinking. My father's cancer took a very long time and he was drinking lots and lots more than you!

If you have more doubts talk to your doctor. Doctors give the best advice.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
JessaMay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,628, Level: 10 Points: 4,628, Level: 10 Points: 4,628, Level: 10

Re: Drinking in lockdown - March 15th 2021, 06:59 PM

It took 55 years of drinking heavily for my grandfather's liver to fail. I think its like eating McDonald's everyday for 9 months. You won't feel the best, but I doubt there will be any long term negative effects.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Drinking in lockdown - March 15th 2021, 07:18 PM

To be clear, I've known a few people — both celebrities and ordinary people like those here on TeenHelp — who had been drinking alcohol in excess over a number of years (no more than ten) and were told they needed to change their habits or they could die.

One person, the brother-in-law of my sister's friend, died last fall because he neglected doctor's orders. It only took him four years. It depends on the type of alcohol, how much you drink, and if you have anything to balance out the alcohol in your system.

Go to the doctor's if you think you have a drinking problem or notice any symptoms especially in the gallbladder region.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Drinking in lockdown - March 16th 2021, 06:50 AM

Hi there,

I agree with seeing your GP if you think you have a drinking problem. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Allyson Wood Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10

Re: Drinking in lockdown - March 19th 2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmethehorizon♥ View Post
Hi

Before you say go and see someone to see if I have a drinking problem I can confirm that I do not.

My question:

I have been drinking a lot since last March I am often working from home due to Covid or just not working at all. I drink because I’ve always enjoyed beer but I never drank it much because I’m always busy now I have so much spare time on my hands and I typically drink 1 to 9 bottles of beer a night just to relax and put Netflix on.

Now I’m getting really stressed in case I’ve damaged my liver I feel fine but I have never drank this badly before and I’m a little worried
We are on the same rack as well. I feel like I need to stop one month from drinking liquor.
Closed Thread