TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

How do I confess to my anti-drugs boyfriend....?? - February 22nd 2014, 04:24 AM

Last summer my boyfriend (of 3.5 years) and I nearly broke up over the fact that I told him I wanted to try E. I'm not exactly experienced with drugs, apart from the odd social joint here and there, and part of this is because I've been with him for the last few years and he's very against drugs - he doesn't even like the ide of me smoking weed.

Anyway tonight I was out with friends and ended up having half an E. Grand. I've been wanting to do so for a long time. I'm 23 and am happy enough making my own decisions. I liked it, it won't be the last time and I like the idea of trying out other things too in good time. At 23 and not a particularly anti-drugs person, I feel a bit behind the times to be honest.

But how do I tell him this?? I would have tried lots of different things by now if I wasn't with him I know. I know I shouldn't let our relationship affect my personal decisions blablabla, but at the same time we're best friends, I fully respect his opinions and we both work to keep each other happy and our relationship good. He reacted so badly last time to hearing even that I was planning to try it and he's so against that kind of thing.

Anyone been in a similar situation...??

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Re: How do I confess to my anti-drugs boyfriend....?? - February 24th 2014, 03:13 PM

I told him and he wasn't happy at all.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: How do I confess to my anti-drugs boyfriend....?? - February 24th 2014, 07:06 PM

There is no right or wrong way to think about drug use. People are allowed to have their own opinions on the subject, and unless they're affecting other people with their own beliefs, it shouldn't really matter.

I can understand where your boyfriend is coming from because I'm not a fan of drugs either. One of my ex-boyfriends had used drugs well before we started dating, and the idea of it still bothered me. I don't have a reason for this, but it's just the way I felt. My suggestion would be to talk to your boyfriend and ask him why he dislikes the idea of you doing drugs so much. For some people, their reasons behind this opinion is more than warranted - i.e., perhaps they had a family member with a drug addiction, or maybe he's worried that drugs will change you as a person, etc. I'd definitely recommend why he feels so strongly against you doing drugs, and go from there.

I know it might be difficult because you don't share the same opinions on the subject, but try to understand where he's coming from - especially if he has a really personal reason for disliking drug use. If you're serious about trying to make the relationship work, this communication is essential. It might be tough to talk about this right now, but give both of your emotions time to settle down, and then have a mature conversation about it. It is imperative that you both consider the other's opinion, or else talking will be futile.

However, at the end of the day, sometimes, people are just too different. While this might not be an issue in someone else's relationship, it could very well be an issue in yours. Ask yourself: if your drug use could potentially end your relationship, would you continue to do them? And, no, I'm not asking you to change for your boyfriend or anything, because I feel strongly that an individual should maintain their independence during a relationship. However, if this is the case, then maybe you two aren't compatible as a couple - and there's nothing wrong with that. Neither of you are wrong, but your opinions are different and neither of you should have to compromise your beliefs.

That being said, if your relationship is very important to you, I'd try to find a way to compromise. Firstly, talk to your boyfriend and find out his reasoning behind this opinion. Then, go from there. I wouldn't recommend pressing the issue right away; wait until things cool down a bit, and then see if you can sit down and have a conversation together.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: How do I confess to my anti-drugs boyfriend....?? - February 25th 2014, 03:22 AM

^ I concur with just about everything stated here.

I'm a fairly pro-drug person, at least when it comes to the more innocuous substances (weed, LSD, mushrooms, DXM, etc.) I think it's very important to understand the reasons your boyfriend is anti-drug, which may have implications for the future of your relationship. If he's concerned with addiction and has seen friends/family struggle with overdoses, withdrawal, etc., I tend to think he can be "reasoned with." Obviously you'll want to approach the subject carefully and stress that you don't fit the pattern he's used to seeing.

On the other hand, if he objects to drug use on more basic principles (such as religion or philosophy), you may encounter major problems raising the subject under any circumstances. In that case, it is probably appropriate to consider whether the relationship will actually work in the long term.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Re: How do I confess to my anti-drugs boyfriend....?? - February 25th 2014, 09:16 AM

As far as I know, he mostly just doesn't approve of drugs because they're illegal. His school friends would have never been into them and he wouldn't really be around them that much so a lot of it would be a lack of knowledge, but at the same time it's never something I'd try and force him to confront.

We actually ended up breaking up last night guys, because of a few other things - I think the fight we had over the drugs was really just a catalyst. But thanks a lot for the replies anyway.

Closed Thread