TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PureLithium Offline
Equestrian
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18

Is it really a sex addiction or just a lack of respect for myself? - October 2nd 2011, 05:10 PM

So, I kind of have a problem. I didn't start having sex till last year when I was in a relationship with a guy I trusted and cared for. We only had sexual intercourse two times but I did other "favors" for him every other night. I'm pretty sure that's why the relationship went down hill, I couldn't always say no. Well, more recently, I've become obsessed with intercourse. I was sleazy enough to have a random 10 minute hookup with a guy I barely knew. That's when it all started, I believe. Four weeks ago I "dated" a guy for about a week. We rushed into having sex multiple times over the course of a long weekend. I loved every minute of it, I had a great time. We broke up three days after but agreed to stay friends with benefits. Then, I've been talking to about 4 other guys who I've made arrangements to have sex with. The thing is, I don't want to have sex with all of them. In all reality, I just want to have sex with the one I care for most because I've had a huge liking towards him for over a year now, and I'd love it if we could connect that way.

Does it really sound like I have a sex addiction or just a lack of respect for myself? How do I gather up the courage to say no to these guys? I'd feel bad after leading them on :/
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Is it really a sex addiction or just a lack of respect for myself? - October 2nd 2011, 05:54 PM

Alex, some don't like when I say this, but you cannot technically be addicted to sex. It can become a problem, but that problem isn't the result of an addiction.

There are a lot of reasons people have difficulty with self control, we'd really need to understand a whole lot about you to determine the actual causes, which would obviously be beyond the scope of this post and this site. However, if you look at this not so much as an 'Addiction' (which implies beyond your conscious control), but rather as a judgment and impulse/self control/self regulation issue, there's a better chance you can master this.

So, the thing that might be most helpful here is for you to not see this as a sexual thing, but a basic self regulation issue. By taking the emotion out of it and looking at it as 'cognitive' issue, you can recall how it is you control and self regulate other urges or desires, how you use your judgment to 'Do the right things', and then apply them in context of guys and sex.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
Closed Thread