TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17

Angry Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) - January 5th 2012, 07:21 AM

So, when I was a bit younger (about 2 years to be exact), I got introduced to alcohol, and parties with alcohol... Being the immature person I was back then, I drank my heart out at these gatherings and parties, even pre - drinking with friends before events where no alcohol was allowed. Obviously, for the duration of these 2 years, I came home extremely drunk, always throwing up and passing out on the floor.

So what does this have to do with my question? Well, there was this one time (at a friend's party), where I drank way too much... I literally passed out right where I was sitting, filling buckets with vomit. Ever since, I haven't been able to drink...

Every time I go to gatherings and parties, I try to down some shots of whatever's there, and there's an instant gag - reflex, even before the liquor touches my mouth. I simply have an extremely difficult time digesting alcohol now, I just can't drink anymore.

I've already been told by a friend that it may be my body rejecting alcohol since it has had bad experiences with it. Even if this theory is true, would there be any way to solve it? I'm not the same person I used to be anymore so I'm obviously not gonna go out only to get piss drunk, but it would be nice to have a drink here and there and to have a good time with friends from time to time. It's honestly becoming a big problem as it's simply prohibiting me from having a good time outside of school.

So anyways, does this happen to anyone? If so, what have you done to try to get over it? If it hasn't, what do you think is causing it? I've already tried resting for a really long period of time...

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25

Re: Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) - January 5th 2012, 08:31 AM

I also get a gag reflex when drinking alcohol. It's usually when I'm drinking strong liquor, so it has a distinct smell & taste to it. I think it's totally normal. Somethings are an acquired taste. Chasers & mixers are great ways to help with this.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Haruhi Offline
Kpop Fan ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jorddii

Points: 12,044, Level: 15 Points: 12,044, Level: 15 Points: 12,044, Level: 15

Re: Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) - January 5th 2012, 12:29 PM

I don't gag when I'm drinking it, but if I start downing it I will gag no matter what alcohol it is. Even if it's an alcopop. It's pretty normal. Just take it slow when you're drinking, you'll enjoy it so much more.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

Re: Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) - January 5th 2012, 12:38 PM

You could maybe try mixing it with something so much that you can't taste the alcohol?? Slightly similarly, when I was fifteen/sixteen I used to be able to drink vodka straight and now that's impossible for some reason, so I make sure to put in so much mixer that the vodka is barely tastable at all. Maybe if you convince yourself you're just drinking coke it might work. :P

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) - January 6th 2012, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the insight, mixing it definitely helps.. but most of the time (at friend gatherings), we drink out of shot glasses in shots at a time. It's only after when we drink some pop to help wash it down (so I can't really mix it, I have to resort to drinking the plain liquor).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Points: 13,307, Level: 16 Points: 13,307, Level: 16 Points: 13,307, Level: 16

Re: Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) - January 7th 2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Thanks for the insight, mixing it definitely helps.. but most of the time (at friend gatherings), we drink out of shot glasses in shots at a time. It's only after when we drink some pop to help wash it down (so I can't really mix it, I have to resort to drinking the plain liquor).
If your only doing shots then the only way to help the taste is by mixing half a shot and half juice/pop/whatever you want with it in the shot glass..you can still taste the alcohol but it helps a bit.
Other than that drink mixed drinks, if you're drinking hard liquor then drink a bit of it before you do your shots, then your mouth is at least sort of familiar with the taste already (though this might not be very effective aha)
I miss the days when I could drink straight liquor like it was water.. lol

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) - January 10th 2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmilexx View Post

If your only doing shots then the only way to help the taste is by mixing half a shot and half juice/pop/whatever you want with it in the shot glass..you can still taste the alcohol but it helps a bit.
Other than that drink mixed drinks, if you're drinking hard liquor then drink a bit of it before you do your shots, then your mouth is at least sort of familiar with the taste already (though this might not be very effective aha)
I miss the days when I could drink straight liquor like it was water.. lol
Yeah haha, I'm in the same boat as you... it's just embarrassing/distressing to not be able to keep up after 1 or 2 shots (some days I can't even take 1!), especially after I used to drink with ease! I thought you would be acquiring a taste for alcohol as you got older not losing taste in it!

Closed Thread