TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

View Poll Results: How do the opinions of your parents influence your dating life?
My parents' opinion doesn't matter at all 2 8.33%
My parents' opinion only matters a little bit 7 29.17%
My parents' opinion matters somewhat 8 33.33%
My parents' opinion matters a lot 3 12.50%
My parents' opinion is crucial to who I date 1 4.17%
It would depend on which parent's opinion it was 1 4.17%
My parents do not know I am dating 1 4.17%
Other (please explain) 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 29th 2013, 04:08 AM

I'm curious as to what degree people's parents' opinion of their date/partner matter and why.

For the purposes of the poll, the definitions go as follows:

"Doesn't matter at all"- parents' opinion has no influence over who you date.

"Only matters a little bit"- it would bother you if your parents did not like your date/partner, but not enough to change your feelings about your date/partner.

"Opinion matters somewhat"- Your feelings about your date/partner might be swayed depending on the opinion of your parents.

"Opinion matters a lot"- Your feelings about your date/partner would definitely be shaped by what your parents think.

"Opinion is crucial in deciding who I date"- You wouldn't date someone without your parents' absolute approval.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Hailey

Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 29th 2013, 04:17 AM

Okay, first of all, I'm not dating yet. But obviously this topic has come up before.

I said that it depends on which parent's opinion it was. I take my mom's opinion on dating more seriously than my dad's, probably for the most part because he's a guy and doesn't understand a girl's perspective as well. My mom also tends to try to make "wiser" choices, I guess. So basically, I take my mom's opinion on this topic pretty seriously (even if I refuse to admit it...).

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 30th 2013, 01:00 PM

I've said that it matters somewhat, for a couple of reasons. First one being, neither of my parents liked my ex at all. That relationship went down the toilet, really. I was really hurt when it ended and had I just listened to my parents and not jumped into things, I feel like things could have gone better. So I have good reason to trust their instincts now.
The other reason is that they both quite like my current partner and are happy we're together, so obviously I'm going to trust that because it's in my favour.

The only reason I could think not to take what they think into consideration is that it took them a year to "adjust" to the fact I was gay so, in theory, they could not like anyone I'm with because it's encouraging a lifestyle I don't think they fully agree with yet.

Ultimately, I trust my parents and know they want the best for me, so I'll always be open to listen to their opinions, but I'm not going to break up with someone because my parents don't like them, if things go wrong, that sucks, but I'm old enough to make my own mistakes and deal with them.

...That was way longer than I thought.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 30th 2013, 03:18 PM

Opinion matters a lot. I think ny.parents bring in a good perspective and I always asked their opinion.about my crushes/dates. Obviously they weren't the final say and I'd be willing to date somebody they didn't approve of, but I think if my parents don't like a guy, it's a red flag.

something burning?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 30th 2013, 03:45 PM

It only matters a little bit to me. If I want to date someone, I'm going to do it regardless of whether or not they like them. Of course, it'll bother me if they don't like them because I'll feel like I can't talk to them about my relationship or even bring said person to my house but if I like them then that is what matters and I know that regardless of my parents feelings, they'll want me to be happy.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 30th 2013, 07:21 PM

I say that my parents opinion matters a lot. I have had an experience with an ex where I still dated him even though nobody liked him especially my parents. I learned that they are pretty good at reading people, so, that's why I say that. Also, I am now currently with a great guy and I think about the future a lot. Family matters to me and although I realize not everyone can like everyone in a family, my parents feelings matters the most in the family and I want them to be proud of who I picked and it has to include my feelings too. I will not further a romantic relationship with someone if my parents don't like him at all. If my parents liked him a little bit, I could deal with that, honestly. So, it's not completely the parent's decision.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 31st 2013, 01:12 AM

My parents' opinion matters somewhat. I know that when my sister was dating they didn't always like the guy, but they let her learn that for herself, so I know would do the same for me and would appreciate them letting me learn. If I was iffy about the person already I may take their opinion into consideration and determine what to do next but if I felt head-over-heels with the person, there would be a chance I'd ignore their opinion. So I might or might not be swayed, depending.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I've been here a while

Name: taylor

Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 31st 2013, 02:17 AM

My answer was only a little, and I guess coming from my dating background, here's why:

One thing is that my parents always find out after I've fallen for the person, and maybe dated them for a while, or at least gone out with them once or twice. They usually find out after the matter, like, a couple MONTHS after, and by that time, I've either stopped talking to the guy, or we're in a very good relationship, or we've broken up, or... well you get the idea Anyways, I tend to want to try things for myself, regardless of age or family names or what they do that might be a bad influence on me.

My parents always tend to find out that I have a crush on a guy, they've always been good at finding that out, which right about now they know I like three guys, which is true. They, however, don't know the extent, for the most part. However, they warn me about the guy, for example, one of the guys has a huge, huge adoration for my best friend, and he's used me in the past. Or when my parents found out I've dated a guy two years older than me, and now trying to swallow that I like another guy even older than that, who has a family name associated with drugs, well, they're always right, you know?

But that doesn't overrule the fact that I still like them, and if I'm going to get hurt, then I'm gonna get hurt, I'll have learned it for myself, and maybe I'll get stronger the more I'm hurt. I don't like them for their age, or their addictions, or their on/off feelings, I like them for them, and really, my parents always find a way to at least accept the guy, and give him a chance.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 31st 2013, 04:43 AM

Well... I chose Other, simply because...it's complicated. I've never dated someone before, but my mom has talked over and over about boys and relationships. Probably talkin so much cuz she doesn't trust me. :P anyway, I've always hated how she has always made me "promise not to marry that guy." "LOL NOPEE I wouldn't choose that guy for you!" "Wow he's *this and that and list of every little flaw* good thing you won't date him!"
Just the way she...seems to want to control everything about that. Can you blame me for not wanting to tell her when I get a boyfriend??!
But, I do value her opinion somewhat. Meaning I'll listen to whatever she has to say, but it's not like I can just snap my fingers aand stop liking someone, just like that. I really respect her opinion though.
My dad's too, but we never talk about that unless he's making fun of me for liking some idiot boy I've never even talked to.

However, despite their opinions, I'm not even gonna tell them about any boyfriends I may get until I'm at least 16, because anything that happens now is just for fun and isn't gonna last more than a week (tops) so why bother??

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 31st 2013, 04:19 PM

Very, very slightly.

They know I'm in an LDR and they accept it, luckily, but they don't like it if I chat with her at midnight when I have to go to school tomorrow. (I do that, I really want to be with her as much as I can) I used to listen to that, but now I've grown to ignore it because I miss her every other moment.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 31st 2013, 10:31 PM

My parents have always liked my boyfriends when I am dating them. My mother is the type of person to always have something nice to say as she always sees the good in everyone. I said her opinion somewhat matters because after a break up she usually makes me feel better by reminding me of what was wrong in my relationship that wouldn't have been able to be fixed anyway. However, she's not very helpful during the relationship.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - November 1st 2013, 02:05 AM

My parents are supportive no matter who I date. They stay far away from my sex/romantic life. They only approach me about it when they can see I'm upset about something, and they allow me to talk it through. Even when they do provide a concern on something (for example, my parents really dislike my girlfriend's dad), I accept it, I work around it and I avoid the issue with them - they don't need the added stress of worrying about their concerns. That being said, whilst I accept their concerns, I can formulate my own opinions and if they align with my parents' perspective, then so be it - but in the end, my opinion trumps theirs with respect to my relationships.
Closed Thread