TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hidden_thoughts Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mikayla

Points: 6,140, Level: 11 Points: 6,140, Level: 11 Points: 6,140, Level: 11

Taking a break - January 1st 2021, 06:09 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience in taking a break from a friendship or relationship in order to work on themselves and if they got back together stronger than before or if things just fell out?

Currently going through a month long break with my friend/partner (its complicated). We set a date as to when we would talk again and we're halfway through it and I guess I need a little reassurance that its worth it.

It has been nice to work on myself these past couple weeks so I think its for the best but yeah. I miss him like crazy still.

'It'll all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end'
~John Lennon
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Taking a break - January 1st 2021, 09:57 AM

Since Covid continues to cause restrictions from seeing friends or lovers, it is vital that they know you love them and that you care for them, and that you tell them.

Personally, I've never been in a situation where a friend has to know I need a break, except soon I'll have a full time job that will curtail spending time with them and my family.

Do bear in mind that your friend or lover may be in education where they themselves may need a break because they will be doing exams. Sometimes needing a break works both ways.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Taking a break - January 1st 2021, 01:33 PM

Hi Mikayla,

Thanks for reaching out. This is a very valid concern, and you're not alone

I think it's good that you and your friend/partner have decided to do this and to speak again on a set date. I know of this YouTube influencer couple who does this thing whereby they each take a solo trip/me-time away from each other for a set period of time every year (since they live together), simply for the purpose of recharging, working on themselves, etc. As much as we are social creatures, we all do need some time to work on ourselves. It's good to give yourselves some space to do this - we all need it. Regarding how it turns out after the break, I believe it is different for different people, and how well you want your relationship to be pan out also depends on commitment from both parties involved. There are no hard and fast outcomes with these sorts of things I guess. I'm hoping it will turn out well in your case

I think I'm going though a similar period with my best friend of 5 years, except that he kind of ghosted me out of the blue a couple of months back, leaving me wondering what's wrong. He got a girlfriend a while back and we were chatting normally, but all of a sudden, he's no longer talking to me. It doesn't help that we don't live in the same country. I've decided to let him have some space to figure things out (we're both people who need to be by ourselves every so often), and hope that he does contact me again.

When you meet your friend/partner again, I suggest having an open mind to the fact that certain aspects about them might have changed over this period of time that you were both taking a break. Embrace these changes and feel free to talk about things openly from your end too. After all, you both had mutually agreed to do this, which reflects that you both care about your relationship. Honest conversations are always the way forward with any sort of relationship

Feel free to reach out to me via PM or you can just reply through this thread, if you have any questions!

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread