TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Neda: A Symbol of Freedom
by Mel October 1st 2009, 10:15 PM

Article featured in Avatar - Volume 3, Issue 2 (August 2009).

Neda: A Symbol of Freedom
By sushi_error

On July 20th, 2009, 26 year-old Neda Agha-Soltan was participating in a peaceful protest against the Iranian election when she was killed by a single bullet. Within hours of her murder, images and videos of her last moments spread across the internet. She instantly became a symbol for democracy and freedom in the eyes of millions of Iranians around the world.

Dear Neda,

As a video of your final moments flashed onto my television screen, I quickly changed the channel. I could neither bear to see you take your last breaths nor close your eyes for eternity, knowing that your death was nothing but a senseless murder. A day or two after your death, I began to learn about your life. You were a talented and aspiring musician, waiting for your big break. You had been bitten by the travel bug early and journeyed to Thailand, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. You were well-versed in other languages (like Turkish) and almost ready to settle down with your fiancé. You were a daughter, a sister, and a friend. To each of those individuals, you were a passionate and loving human being. You loved your heritage and culture, but yearned to see the world for yourself. However, as the announcement of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s victory spread across Iran and the world, you immediately knew something was not right. You marched alongside thousands of your fellow Iranians, voicing your opposition and preaching freedom and democracy. Before you knew it, your life came to an abrupt end as a single sniper bullet penetrated your chest.

In a country where intangibles such as freedom and democracy are nonexistent, you defied laws in order to achieve freedom. Your immense courage and sacrifice will always live on in the hearts of billions of people across the world. You have become a rallying cry for millions of Iranians in Iran and across the world. You have instilled a greater and deeper desire for freedom and democracy in individuals of all backgrounds. There is no doubt in my mind that your fellow Iranians will continue to fight until there is complete freedom and peace in your beautiful nation. The fact that the Iranian government has prohibited any references to your death is a testament of their wrongdoings. They can try to prevent protests as much as they please, but they cannot silence the voices of millions.

Every time I turn on the news or surf the internet, I come across stories of individuals like you, struggling for freedom and democracy across the world. I realize how lucky I am to have my vote count, my voice heard in American elections. I did not vote in the recent U.S. Presidential Election due to age, but I had the opportunity to throw out my support for my favorite candidate in other ways. Police officers did not barge into my home and arrest me for standing behind my beliefs. I was not blocked from websites like Facebook whenever I wanted to voice my opinions on various issues. I cannot think of another country where a presidential election is not met with bloodshed or violence, besides the United States and one or two other nations. Our elections can be long and agonizing, but are fair and just.

Through your great sacrifice, you have united those who were divided before and have become a reason why freedom should never be taken for granted. It is difficult to guess the final chapter of this unscripted reality, but hopefully, Iran will finally taste the freedom it has been longing for over thirty years.

Rest in Peace, Neda. Your dream will never die.

Last edited by Mel; April 6th 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Views 2326 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments